History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sutton, London

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3626 / 51°21'45"N

Longitude: -0.1949 / 0°11'41"W

OS Eastings: 525771

OS Northings: 164158

OS Grid: TQ257641

Mapcode National: GBR CK.X4S

Mapcode Global: VHGRQ.K0VS

Plus Code: 9C3X9R74+23

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 1 March 1974

Last Amended: 28 September 2017

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1065629

English Heritage Legacy ID: 206795

Location: Sutton, London, SM1

County: London

District: Sutton

Electoral Ward/Division: Sutton Central

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Sutton

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Sutton St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Cheam

Listing Text


795/16/166 ST NICHOLAS ROAD
01-MAR-74 Church of St Nicholas

II

Parish curch. Rebuilt 1862-4 by Edwin Nash, incorporates monuments from the old building. Dressed flint with stone dressings. Red tile roof. Gothic style. 4 bay nave, chancel, organ chamber and vestry, side aisles, south aisle chapel and west tower. Tower with doorway in west side of it, 4 tiers of fenestration and shingled broach spire. Aisle windows of 3-lights with circular tracery over in pointed heads; 2-light windows to south aisle chapel; chancel window of 5-lights. Gabled porches to north and south sides, south porch with following inscription on bargeboard: "How amiable are thy dwellings thou Lord of Hosts". INTERIOR: nave with pointed arches supported on circular columns with foliated capitals; timber roofs; whitewashed walls. The present structure incorporates a medieval piscina and monuments from the old church including the following; monuments to Joseph Glover 1628, to Lady Dorothy Brownlow 1699, to William Earl Talbot 1782 and to Isaac Littlebury 1740.


Listing NGR: TQ2577264158

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.