This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3624 / 51°21'44"N
Longitude: -0.1955 / 0°11'43"W
OS Eastings: 525729
OS Northings: 164135
OS Grid: TQ257641
Mapcode National: GBR CK.WZP
Mapcode Global: VHGRQ.K0JX
Entry Name: Gibson Mausoleum in the churchyard of St Nicholas, Sutton
Listing Date: 1 March 1974
Last Amended: 28 September 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1065630
English Heritage Legacy ID: 206796
Location: Sutton, London, SM1
Electoral Ward/Division: Sutton Central
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Sutton
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Sutton St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
ST NICHOLAS ROAD
Gibson Mausoleum in
St Nicholas' Churchyard
TQ 2564 16/167
Erected 1777 to contain the remains of James Gibson and his family. One storey,
painted stone. Moulded skirting to plinth, and moulded cornice rail above. Vermiculated
angle quoins, and round-arched entrance with "Gibbs" surround. Partly fluted
eaves cornice, pyramidal stone roof with "Adam" vase surmounting. Inscription
on east wall.
In the churchyard are several old gravestones of interest. These include 2 inscribed
C17 slab stones almost against the north aisle wall, and, parallel to chancel
window an early C19 monument to a blacksmith with an inscribed verse (for latter,
see Marshall, "History of Cheam and Sutton", p 88). There is also said to be
a gravestone with an inscription including a reference to Mrs Elizabeth Pistor,
died 1690, and 2 of her children "who dyed young in the Great Sickness AD 1665"
(see W G Bell "Great Plague in London" (1924), p 284, where author says he knows
of no other inscription of this kind); this gravestone formerly under a thorn
tree in line with west door of the church but not now visible.
Listing NGR: TQ2572964135
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Mausoleum. Erected 1777 in neoclassical style to contain the remains of James Gibson, London wine merchant, and his family. It is probably the work of a mason rather than architect. The mausoleum was erected at the expense of the eldest daughter, Mary Gibson.
Mausoleum. Erected in 1777 in neoclassical style to contain the remains of James Gibson, London wine merchant, and his family. It is probably the work of a mason rather than architect. The mausoleum was erected at the expense of the eldest daughter, Mary Gibson.
MATERIALS: built of Portland stone, painted.
PLAN: a square, single-storey 12 foot cube with a central entrance in the east side leading into a single burial chamber.
EXTERIOR: all sides have vermiculated angle quoins, a projecting moulded plinth, a moulded cornice rail and a moulded eaves cornice with narrow fluted band.
The east side has a central round-headed entrance with a 'Gibbs' surround' and a 1920s or 1930s wooden door with a probably original small semi-circular ventilation grille with metal cames filled with coloured glass. Above is a tablet bearing the inscription: 'Within this tomb lyes the Remains of / James Gibson Esq. and family / Late Merchant and Citizen of London / To whose Memory this Tomb was erected / 1777.
The south side has a C20 oval metal 'Heritage in Sutton' plaque, giving James Gibson's birth and death dates and stating 'In accordance with the wish of the last of the Gibson family, Miss Mary Gibson (c1730-1793), the tomb is subject to an annual inspection on August 12th.'
The pyramidal roof is surmounted by a central neoclassical urn.
INTERIOR: there is a plain domical vaulted roof and a York stone flagged floor. Along the north and south sides are hexagonal Portland stone sarcophagi on raised Portland stone feet and there are also five hexagonal-shaped wooden coffins with metal plaques.
The manor of Sutton belonged to Chertsey Abbey from before the Norman conquest to the Dissolution when it passed to a succession of mostly non-resident owners. In the C18 the village became a coaching stop on the route to the races in Epsom and then Brighton and by 1800 it was a small village sprawling up the hill from the common (now the Green) to the Cock Cross Roads. The arrival of the Sutton to Epsom railway in 1847, the Epsom Downs line (1865) and the more direct line to London via Mitcham Junction (1868) led to rapid change. Middle class development took place at Benhill and in the area the area around the railway station, while Newtown, east of the High Street, was more working class. The High Street shops developed quite rapidly, probably largely in the 1870s and 1880s and by 1900 Sutton was a small commuter town in the countryside beyond London. In the 1920s and 1930s whole area was engulfed by suburban development.
The Gibson Mausoleum was erected in 1777 for James Gibson (c1706-1776), London wine merchant and Master of the Worshipful Company of Ironmongers, and members of his family by his eldest daughter, Mary Gibson (1730-1793). Her parents had both died in 1776 and had been buried in St Nicholas churchyard but Mary used some of her inheritance to erect the mausoleum and re-inter her parents within it.
The stone coffins without inscriptions along the north and south sides of the mausoleum contain the remains of James Gibson on the north side and his wife Martha on the south side. The five lead-lined oak coffins all have lead coffin plates. No 1 on the floor adjoining the north stone coffin contains Jane Martin (d 1764), a presumed sister of Mary Gibson, and Jane Leach (d 1769) probably a cousin, both re-interred when the Mausoleum was built. No 2 on the floor nearer the south stone coffin contains Mattthew Gibson, brother, business partner and executor to James Gibson (d 1773). No 3, a large coffin on top of no 2, contains the remains of Martha Wood (d 1793) also a daughter of James Gibson. No 4 on top of the south stone coffin contains the remains of Elizabeth Gibson (d 1787) another daughter, who left a legacy of £50 for the upkeep of the tomb. No 5, on top of the north stone coffin, contains the remains of Mary Gibson (d 1793) the last of the family to be interred here, who left a legacy of £5,000 on trust to the Governors of Christ Hospital, the interest to be used for the upkeep and an annual inspection of the mausoleum. The Governors and Guardians of Christ's Hospital were made responsible for any repairs.
The two bequests are set out on painted boards in St Nicholas Church.
The mausoleum was described in 'A Topographical History of Surrey' by EW Brayley (1844) as being 'inclosed by iron railings' but these are no longer present.
In the 1920s small ventilation grilles were inserted on three sides of the mausoleum.
The Gibson Mausoleum, a mausoleum of 1777, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
Architectural interest :
* As a good quality C18 neoclassical-style mausoleum which is unaltered apart from the loss of its railings;
* Mausoleums are a relatively rare building type nationally and this is particularly so for Georgian examples as here.
* part of a related group with the Church of St Nicholas and a number of historic tombstones in the churchyard.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings