This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9694 / 50°58'9"N
Longitude: -2.7675 / 2°46'2"W
OS Eastings: 346206
OS Northings: 119170
OS Grid: ST462191
Mapcode National: GBR MH.M8P0
Mapcode Global: FRA 562K.5NB
Entry Name: The Chantry
Listing Date: 28 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1066030
English Heritage Legacy ID: 422281
Location: Martock, South Somerset, Somerset, TA12
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Martock
Built-Up Area: Martock
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
The Chantry, Church Street.
The Chantry, Church Street.
ST4619 MARTOCK CP CHURCH STREET (East side)
12/191 The Chantry
Cottage behind shop, probably more than one originally. C14 and C17 mostly. Ham stone near-ashlar; plain clay tiled
roofs with coped gables, one section with stone slate base courses; brick chimney stacks. Two storeys, 4-bay south west
elevation, of which bay 1 is the Pharmacy (q.v). Hollow chamfered mullioned windows bays 2 and 3, all 3-light except
lower bay 2, which is 2-light; to left of lower bay 2 a 4-pane sash window; projecting between bays 2 and 3 a gabled
single-storey extension with 2-light hollow-chamfer mullioned window in the north-west wall: to upper bay 4 an
ovolo-mould mullioned window of 4 lights, the centre mullion now removed. The north-east wall has a variety of windows,
including two 3-light hollow chafer windows, one in lower bay 1 in C17 style, that to upper bay 4 smaller and possibly
medieval. Inside a variety of historical detail, including a pointed arch doorway with Norman details which would be no
later than 1325, and a medieval roof frame with cambered collar and curved braces, the centre truss having a lower
kingpost; in the north-east gable is a C17 fireplace, flat arched with ovolo-mould and wave-mould surround; a variety
of C17 and C18 doors; the staircase probably c1800. This house has been identified as that which was the residence of
the chaplain of a chantry established by John de Soy in Martock Church in l325; it passed to Sherborne School in 1550.
(VCH, Vol III, 1974).
Listing NGR: ST4620619170
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings