This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4977 / 51°29'51"N
Longitude: -0.1285 / 0°7'42"W
OS Eastings: 530008
OS Northings: 179304
OS Grid: TQ300793
Mapcode National: GBR HK.98
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.QMF6
Plus Code: 9C3XFVXC+3J
Entry Name: No. 22 Great College Street (including St Edward's Chapel, Tufton Street)
Listing Date: 1 December 1987
Last Amended: 25 September 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1066768
English Heritage Legacy ID: 209863
Location: St. James's, Westminster, London, SW1P
Electoral Ward/Division: St James's
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Matthew Westminster
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3079 SW
CITY OF WESTMINSTER
Great College Street SW 1
No. 22 (including St Edward's Chapel, Tufton Street)
(Formerly listed as Nos. 22 and 23, St Edward's House (Including St. Edward's Chapel, Tufton Street.))
Home and Chapel for the Society of St John the Evangelist. 1903-1905 by Edward Burgess. Red brick with stone dressings, slate roof. Free Style Tudor Gothic with an embattled tower. Four storeys with five storey "tower" of shallow projection to left.
Main block five windows wide plus coupled windows to tower; gable and return virtually blind followed by recessed link bay with Chapel block which has broad entrance bay and three window range to right. The combined entrance to both chapel and school house is in Tufton Street. To Great College Street the main block has a central two storey crenellated two window wide projection with large three-light mullioned-transomed windows, otherwise two-, three- and four-light mullioned windows, those on first floor transomed and with four-centred arched heads. Three storey canted bay "turret" to right with weather-coped parapet.Weathered stone plinth and strings, weathered stone string below crowning parapet.
Tufton Street front has three-centred arched portal with moulded jambs and drip mould above which is set a triple group of lancets, the central one as niche with statue. The three-window range to right is four storeys high with deep stone plinth and the upper floor window bays recessed between plain "buttress"-piers stone capped and finishing short of the sheer attic. Y-traceried, three-centred arched chapel windows to first floor and only one small window at third floor level, the wall face finished off sheer. Simple six-bay chapel reached via narthex and three vaulted bays at right-angles, with lady chapel over also of three bays with simple rib vault; all in Early English style.
Listing NGR: TQ3000879304
Other nearby listed buildings