History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Trocadero

A Grade II Listed Building in St James's, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5105 / 51°30'37"N

Longitude: -0.1325 / 0°7'57"W

OS Eastings: 529691

OS Northings: 180712

OS Grid: TQ296807

Mapcode National: GBR GD.DQ

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.N99F

Entry Name: Trocadero

Listing Date: 1 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1066950

English Heritage Legacy ID: 209339

Location: Westminster, London, W1D

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: St James's

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Anne Soho

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Holborn

Listing Text

TQ 2980 NE
71/70

CITY OF WESTMIINSTER
COVENTRY STREET, W1
Nos 7 to 14 (consec) (part of Trocadero)

1.5.86

II
Former Lyons Corner House. 1907 by W J Ancell for the corner block with Rupert Street; 1921-23 extension along Coventry Street by F J Mills. White glazed terracotta facing, slate roofs. Lively and crowded Free Baroque to the earlier corner block with simple classical features to the much larger scale Mills extension.

Corner block of four main storeys. Two windows wide each side of bowed corner. 1980s ground floor refacing in keeping, articulated by pilaster-piers. Tripartite windows, with consoles rising from those on first floor to support balconies of second floor windows, have rusticated Ionic columns with broken segmental pediments to those in outer bays and to those in bowed corner, the cleft pediments framing the attic storey windows. Balustraded parapet and attic pavilions above the inner bays flanking the inset cupola over the corner which has columns supporting an 'onion' ribbed dome.

The 1921-23 extension is of four tall storeys, nine windows wide. Ground floor with 1980s central entrance and two large display windows flanked by original coupled Roman Doric columns, deep entablature. First and second floors have windows grouped in three major bays with central window of each group on first floor set in large aedicule with enriched console-key breaking into pediment, articulated by pilasters and panelled piers. Square piered deep loggia to top floor beneath bold crowning cornice and parapet. Tall pediment-gable capped chimney stacks. Well-preserved example of the Lyons Corner House style.

Listing NGR: TQ2969180711

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.