This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3841 / 52°23'2"N
Longitude: -0.882 / 0°52'55"W
OS Eastings: 476192
OS Northings: 276814
OS Grid: SP761768
Mapcode National: GBR BTJ.KTX
Mapcode Global: VHDRD.NBLQ
Entry Name: Church of St Catherine
Listing Date: 2 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067038
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360279
Location: Draughton, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN6
Civil Parish: Draughton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Draughton St Catherine
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
7/26 Church of St. Catherine
Church. Late C12, C13 and C19. Coursed lias rubble with limestone ashlar
dressings with plain tile roof to chancel, porch and vestry and lead roof to
nave and aisles. Aisled nave, chancel and west tower. Chancel remodelled c.1885.
South elevation of 3-window range has two 2-light windows with reticulated
tracery with single lancet between, probably reset. Fragments of masonry from
earlier openings built into wall below windows. C19 three-light east window has
reticulated tracery with roundel. North elevation similar with one 2-light
window. Gabled roof with ashlar parapets and finial. South aisle of 2-window
range with single lancet to left and 2-light square headed window to right.
Similar 3-light east window. 2-light west window with plate tracery lean-to
roof. C14 gabled porch to left has double chamfered arch. North aisle of
2-window range of one and 2-light square headed windows set in deep splays;
lean-to roof. North vestry projection has 3-light C18 window with Gothic
tracery; originally the east window this was reset in C19. Gabled roof with
ashlar parapets and twin stone stacks at apex. West tower, late C12 of 3 stages
with large 2-stage clasped buttresses at western corner. Single lancet to first
and second stage. Simple 2-light bell chamber openings to 3 faces of third
stage. Plain parapet. Third stage banded with ashlar and probably restored in
C17. Interior: Chancel has C19 single arcade to vestry. C13 double chamfered
chancel arch. 3-bay nave arcade of C13 double chamfered arches with octagonal
piers, those to the south having nailhead decoration to the capitals. Late C12
pointed tower arch with nailhead decoration to capitals. Roofs C19. Stained
glass, east window by C.E. Moore 1933, has baluster with serpent winding round
the stem. Monument, to Maunselns Courtman 1704 to left of altar is tablet with
scull and cross bones above. Plain tablet to Adams family 1778 to south of
chancel. Hatchment and painted inscription with The Lords Prayer and Creed above
tower arch. Similar painted panel relating to will of Mary Chapman 1826 in north
aisle. Inscribed metal plate to Mary AdaAs 1775 in nave floor. Carved bench ends
with foliated gothic tracery probably C16. Double pew with canopy to rear of
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.188).
Listing NGR: SP7619276814
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings