This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5776 / 52°34'39"N
Longitude: -1.8298 / 1°49'47"W
OS Eastings: 411628
OS Northings: 297764
OS Grid: SP116977
Mapcode National: GBR 3H4.JW
Mapcode Global: WHCH7.VGTT
Entry Name: 147, Lichfield Road
Listing Date: 4 March 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067117
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473082
Location: Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, B74
Civil Parish: Sutton Coldfield
Built-Up Area: Sutton Coldfield
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Sutton Coldfield Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SP 19 NW SUTTON COLDFIELD LICHFIELD ROAD
2/10011 Number 147
House. C16 or C17, altered and added to in the mid C19, to form the South Lodge of Four Oaks Hall, and in the C20. Brick, now painted, stone, timber-framing, roof of tiles. Two storeys, scattered fenestration. Gabled porch to flat-arched entrance on cast front; single-storey hipped and canted bay windows to either side, two flat-arched windows to first floor with a square heraldic panel between, under a sequence of three gables with decorative barge--boards and finials, the central gable larger than its neighbours; one flat-arched, two-light window, possibly of stone, to the left of the first floor, now blocked up- massive external stack to left-hand return; the west front has two gabled cross-wings, the northernmost and the cross-wing running of it to the north faced with weather-boarding on the upper storey; patterns of fish-scale tiles to the roof; decorative ridge tiles; end stacks with pairs of polygonal chimneys. The early history of the house is reflected in the timber-framing in the south wall of the present staircase hall, visible on the ground and first floors from the staircase hall, and on the fast floor from the south-cast bedroom; some framing is also visible on the south gable end, at the south end of the house there is an inglenook, which was uncovered and reconstructed c.1926, and a massive external stack with several offsets. The house seems to have been extended northwards in the mid C19 to form the lodge; the hipped addition which fills the re-entrant angle between the main building and the south-east face of the stack may be of this date, there are two cross-wings on the west side, the southernmost possible of late C19 or early C20 date, the other may be of later date, and a cross-wing which runs northwards off It is certainly later. INTERIOR: The principal features of interest in the interior are the timber-framing (see above) and the inglenook reconstructed by the architect WJ Davis c. 1926; a number of rooms have fireplaces of early C20 date.
Listing NGR: SP1162897764
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings