This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3558 / 50°21'20"N
Longitude: -4.155 / 4°9'17"W
OS Eastings: 246799
OS Northings: 52874
OS Grid: SX467528
Mapcode National: GBR NW.VSPQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 2853.C2J
Entry Name: Barracks
Listing Date: 19 December 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067138
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473138
Location: Plymouth, PL1
County: City of Plymouth
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter and the Waterfront
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX45SE DRAKE'S ISLAND
Military barracks for island garrison. c1830-35, or possibly
of C18 origin, remodelled c1860. Rendered stone with exposed
granite quoins, parapet coping, gable coping and sills; slate
2-span roof; Plymouth limestone ashlar axial and lateral
stacks. Double-depth-plan range for sergeants' and privates'
accommodation and cross wing on right for officers'
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and 2 storeys plus attic; 9:5 bays, the
5-bay cross wing with 2 attic windows. C19 12-pane sashes; 3
doorways with planked doors to main range and central doorway
to cross wing with panelled door, all with rectangular
overlights with glazing bars.
Rear elevation is similar but a mirror image of the front,
plus on the left are concrete steps up to an inserted
INTERIOR: the officers' block contains c1830s dog-leg
staircase with column newels and elliptical work alcove in one
room. The cast-iron chimneypieces, especially those with
laurel wreath and VR monogram are probably c1860 or later
HISTORY: the barrack return of 1822 gives the strength of
Drake's Island detachment as 2 officers and 72 men. A company
of the 32nd Foot (Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry) was
stationed on the island in 1825 for which there was
accommodation for 3 officers and 96 men. A later return in
1847 says there were 22 rooms for sleeping, a cookhouse, 8
privates to a room and the sergeants had a room each. The
barracks were probably therefore rebuilt between 1822 and
(Mayflower Centre Trust: Drake's Island).
Listing NGR: SX4679952874
Other nearby listed buildings