This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5992 / 53°35'57"N
Longitude: -2.5388 / 2°32'19"W
OS Eastings: 364442
OS Northings: 411538
OS Grid: SD644115
Mapcode National: GBR BVQT.5J
Mapcode Global: WH97L.ZS7N
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 24 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067326
English Heritage Legacy ID: 210505
Location: Horwich, Bolton, BL6
Civil Parish: Horwich
Built-Up Area: Horwich
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Horwich Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 61 SW,
CHURCH STREET (north side),
Church of Holy Trinity
Church. 1830-1831. By F. Bedford. Chancel, 1903, by R. Knill
Freeman. Stone with slate roof. 4-bay nave continued as
porches flanking west tower; chancel with south organ loft.
Nave has Y-tracery windows between buttresses and crocked
pinnacles; cornice and parapet. Porches have north and
south entrances below windows, with label moulds. Tower has
octagonal turrets becoming angle buttresses above roof
level. Two raised bands with cusping below. 4-centred
entrance with tracery band over and blind lancet above.
Kneeling camel crest of Ridgway family, 4-face clock and Y-
tracery louvred bell openings. Open-traceried embattled
parapet. Flanking porches have stepped lancets, the
innermost the tallest. Ornate iron railings to basement
access. Chancel is shallow, with 4-light traceried window
over three panels of memorial slabs, the earliest dated 1952.
Organ loft has 3-light double-chamfered-mullioned window
and entrance. Two stones against south side of nave bear
Ridgway arms and crest, possibly from original east end.
INTERIOR: nave has chamfered diagonal piers supporting 3
galleries and plaster rib vaults. Monument to Joseph
Ridgway died 1842, by R. Westmacott, free standing monument
with robed woman kneeling at prie dieu. Other memorials and
hatchments. South aisle stained glass window of 1874.
Chancel east window of 1927 but earlier decorative glass and
Ridgway arms in tracery head. Reredos with cresting and
canopy, 1923. At west end of nave an original box pew. In
gallery is board recording payments to church officials in
1854 and pumping handle to organ. The church was financed
largely by the Ridgway family.
Listing NGR: SD6444211538
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings