This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5557 / 51°33'20"N
Longitude: -0.1796 / 0°10'46"W
OS Eastings: 526297
OS Northings: 185655
OS Grid: TQ262856
Mapcode National: GBR D0.MDK
Mapcode Global: VHGQR.T5W8
Plus Code: 9C3XHR4C+74
Entry Name: Number 8 and Attached Railings and Gate
Listing Date: 11 August 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067343
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476934
Location: Camden, London, NW3
Electoral Ward/Division: Frognal and Fitzjohns
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St John Hampstead
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2685NW CHURCH ROW
798-1/26/221 (North side)
and attached railings and gate
Terraced house. c1728. Built by R Hughes; mostly rebuilt and
refaced late C19. Brown brick with red brick dressings. Tiled
mansard roof with dormer.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, attic and basement. 2 windows. Wooden
architraved doorcase with pilasters and bracketed cornice with
fluted frieze; patterned fanlight and panelled door. Gauged
red brick flat arches to flush framed sashes with exposed
boxing. Moulded brick strings at floor levels. Parapet. Rear
elevation has flush sash windows in exposed boxes, with single
iron brackets to hold upper frame.
INTERIOR: 2 rooms deep with central stair at right-angles to
facade, and with deep extended bay to right at rear, probably
of early C20 date. Door gives into open ground floor, with
full-height ovolo-moulded panelling having dado rail and box
cornice. Early C18 corner fireplace with faience tiles.
Staircase rises from centre of present space, with three
turned balusters per tread and newels, the lowest flight with
balustrade on both sides. First floor rear room with
panelling, box cornice and dado, with C18 fireplace in early
C19 grate and plank door. Second floor front room has early
C18 corner fireplace, full-height panelling with cornice, dado
and shutters. Second-floor rear room has full-height panelling
with moulded cornice and dado, an early C18 fireplace with
early C19 grate and shutters. Third-floor front room opens
into M-shaped roof. Rear room with some panelling and early
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with urn
finials to areas and wrought-iron gateway of scroll design
HISTORICAL NOTE: c1785-1800 this was the home of Mrs Barbauld
and her niece, Lucy Aikin, both famous writers.
(RCHME: London: Vol. II, West London: London: -1925: 42;
Victoria County History: Middlesex: Vol. IX, Paddington &
Hampstead Parishes: London: -1989: 20).
Listing NGR: TQ2629785656
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings