This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5553 / 51°33'19"N
Longitude: -0.1798 / 0°10'47"W
OS Eastings: 526287
OS Northings: 185619
OS Grid: TQ262856
Mapcode National: GBR D0.MCL
Mapcode Global: VHGQR.T5TJ
Entry Name: Number 17 and Attached Railings to Front and Garden Walls to Rear
Listing Date: 11 August 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067351
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476944
Location: Camden, London, NW3
Electoral Ward/Division: Frognal and Fitzjohns
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St John Hampstead
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2685NW CHURCH ROW
798-1/26/229 (South side)
and attached railings to front and
garden walls to rear
Terraced house. Perhaps c1723, certainly by 1728, ground floor
altered early C19 and upper floors refaced late C19 in
Georgian style. Rear bathroom on corbel brackets added c1890s.
Multi-coloured stock brick and stucco ground floor, channelled
to appear as ashlar. Slated mansard roof with dormers.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, attic and basement. Round-arched doorway
with fluted pilaster jambs, radial fanlight and panelled door.
Recessed sashes to ground floor; 1st floor, red brick
segmental arches to casements with cast-iron balconies; 2nd
floor, red brick segmental arches to recessed sashes with
exposed boxing. Parapet. Lead rainwater head and pipe to
INTERIOR: plan of two rooms on each of the principal floors,
with staircase hall to rear of hallway and later closets on
half landing. Hallway panelled, as are ground-floor rooms.
Closed string staircase the full height of the house. First
floor panelled with box cornice, has early C19 fireplace and
1872 Minton tiles. Second floor front room with early C18
fireplace in simpler panelling. Second floor rear room with
stained glass panels over bay and early C18 fireplace.
Basement with plank doors, dresser, cupboard and dumb waiter.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with urn
finials to areas.
HISTORICAL NOTE: home of the writer HG Wells 1909-13.
Listing NGR: TQ2628685617
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings