This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5352 / 51°32'6"N
Longitude: -0.136 / 0°8'9"W
OS Eastings: 529378
OS Northings: 183461
OS Grid: TQ293834
Mapcode National: GBR F3.MT
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.LNGY
Entry Name: Working Mens College and Attached Railings, Wall and Piers
Listing Date: 14 May 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067378
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477030
Location: Camden, London, NW1
Electoral Ward/Division: St Pancras and Somers Town
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Pancras Old Church
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2983SW CROWNDALE ROAD
798-1/83/284 (North side)
14/05/74 Nos.44 AND 46
Working Men's College and attached
railings, wall and piers
College. 1904-6. By WD Caroe. Red brick with stone dressings.
Slate mansard roof with dormers. Tall brick chimney with
louvred lantern (fume extract from chemistry laboratory).
Asymmetrical facade in British Free Style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, attic storey and semi-basement. 16
windows and 8-window return to Camden Street. Main entrance to
right with stone portico having Ionic half columns carrying
entablature and segmental pediment with enriched tympanum. All
windows with fine gauged brick arches to flush sashes with
keystones, glazing bars giving impression of transoms and
mullions. Semi-basement, segmental-arched; ground and 1st
floor, mostly flat arched. Plain brick band at ground floor
level. Asymmetrically set feature of 4 windows flanked by
brick Doric pilasters carrying entablature (with words
'WORKING MEN'S COLLEGE' in frieze) and pediment with large
lunette in the tympanum. To left, bowed bay of 3 windows
rising from semi-basement to eaves and terminating in cornice
and parapet. Dormers with alternating segmental and triangular
pediments. Gable end of right hand return with Free Style
segmental-arched projection having round-arched windows with
margin glazing on 3 sides being a recess to the library.
Letters in tympanum read 'FOUNDED 1854'. Return with entrance
having moulded stone surround and keystone. Similar sashes to
main front; top storey with round-arched windows and large
lunette to right hand gabled bay, indicating the library on
INTERIOR: entrance hall with staircase beyond and corridor to
right leading to large Common Room; this with panelled dado
and moulded plaster ceilings including national emblems. Two
eighteenth-century marble fire surrounds from Great Ormond
Street where Working Men's College founded: at west end of
yellow and white marble with Ionic columns supporting
entablature having central plaque with carved marble flowers;
at east end a simple white marble surround with coloured
marble inlay. Camden Street wing, ground floor, has main hall
with stage, proscenium and panelling. First floor Library has
barrel vaulted ceiling with glazed panel top lighting; 5
arcaded bays with arch at south end into recess; oak panelling
and bookcases. Oak mantelpiece above marble fire surround.
Bronze plaque above to Robert Henry Marks 1912. Marble head in
recessed roundel by Alexander Munro to right of fireplace. Top
storey: art studio with portrait of Lionel Jacob, 1910, set in
oak panelling; shallow vaulted ceiling. Science laboratory
with original fitted benches. In the basement the gymnasium,
originally for boxing.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings on brick
sleeper wall with brick piers.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the Working Men's College was founded 1854 in
Great Ormond Street by Rev. F D Maurice, John Ruskin and
others to offer non-vocational studies in humanities, history,
theology and natural sciences within a collegiate community.
Social facilities and gymnasium were key features of its
accommodation as much as classrooms, laboratory and library.
Art, taught by Ruskin, Rossetti and others was important in
the early years and has remained a strong tradition.
(Harrison JFC: A History of the Working Men's College
(1854-1954): London: -1954).
Listing NGR: TQ2937883461
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings