This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.485 / 53°29'5"N
Longitude: -2.3586 / 2°21'30"W
OS Eastings: 376303
OS Northings: 398755
OS Grid: SJ763987
Mapcode National: GBR CXZ4.5G
Mapcode Global: WH988.RN2Q
Entry Name: Queens Arms
Listing Date: 9 March 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067506
English Heritage Legacy ID: 211953
Location: Salford, M30
Electoral Ward/Division: Eccles
Built-Up Area: Eccles
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Patricroft Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SJ 79 NE, 4/101
Public house. 1828 with early C20 alterations- Brick with Welsh slate roof L-shaped plan, with three bars (two to front range, one to rear wing), two storeys, three window range: horned sash windows throughout except to canted bay to right of entrance which has Edwardian etched glass window. Round-headed doorway. Right-hand gable with heavy bargeboarding; irregularly-placed sash windows. INTERIOR: Plan form retains separate bar areas. Entrance lobby gives access to vault to left, which retains panelled bar counter with screened servery to lobby end. Beyond lobby hall passage gives access to smoke room to right, with baffle screens to ends of fixed bench seating adjacent to doorway. Fireplace with Art Nouveau style surround with substantial overmantle mirror. Beyond smoke room, cross passage gives access to central lounge with fixed bench seating and canted bay window and to the right, to the billiard room, with opening above bench seating to permit viewing from the lounge bar. Half-glazed panelled doors with etched glass survive in bar doorways.
The building was built in 1828 to coincide with the opening of the Liverpool-Manchester Railway, and catered for excursion traffic from Manchester. It also served Nasmyth's engineering factory (now demolished but formerly situated immediately N). As such it may be considered the first railway pub in the world, its special interest enhanced by a little-altered interior layout.
This building was listed on 9 March 1989 by the 2nd amendment to the 15th list.
Listing NGR: SJ7630398755
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings