This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1181 / 51°7'5"N
Longitude: 0.1845 / 0°11'4"E
OS Eastings: 552987
OS Northings: 137691
OS Grid: TQ529376
Mapcode National: GBR MPV.ZBN
Mapcode Global: VHHQK.45W6
Entry Name: Rose Cottage
Listing Date: 20 October 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067570
English Heritage Legacy ID: 438592
Location: Speldhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN3
District: Tunbridge Wells
Civil Parish: Speldhurst
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Speldhurst St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 53 37 SPELDHURST BIRD-IN-HAND STREET, OLD
16/449 No 1, Rose Cottage, and No 2
Former house, now divided into 2 cottages. Late C17 with some C19 additions,
probably associated with the subdivision of the house. Weatherboarded timber
frame on coursed sandstone and brick footings. Brick stack (maybe with stone
base) and chimneyshaft. Peg-tile roof.
Plan: Pair of cottages facing east north east, say east, and built down the
hillslope. No 1 on the left (downhill) side has a one-room plan with a
fireplace from the axial stack it shares with next door. Early if not
original single-storey bakehouse block to rear with gable-end stack. One-room
plan extension on the left (south) end was built in the C19 as a shop (a
cobblers according to the present occupant). No 2 to right has a 2-room plan.
Its larger left room has a fireplace from the axial stack shared with No 1.
Main block was probably built as a 3-room lobby entrance plan house with the
main room, the hall, in the centre parlour to left and service room to right.
House is 2 storeys with attic rooms in the roofspace, a cellar under the
centre, single-storey bakehouse and lean-to outshots across the rear.
Exterior: Irregular 3-window front of old casement windows containing both
rectangular (No 1) and diamond (No 2) panes of leaded glass. Blocked cellar
window in the centre. Both cottage doorways up flights of 3 stone steps and
both contain similar plain plank doors under late C18/early C19 flat hoods;
moulded edges on scrolled brackets carved as acanthus leaves. Main roof is
gable-ended to right and half-hipped to left. Small C19 shop to left had
front door alongside a continuous row of windows. Roof is gable-ended. Rear
outshots and bakehouse walls of coursed sandstone.
Interior: Only No 1 was available for inspection at the time of this survey. In the main house the fireplaces have modern chimneypieces. Both ground and
first floor rooms have chamfered axial beams with scroll stops. Roof of tie-
beam trusses with clasped side purlins. The winder stair rising to rear of
the stack is probably the original, at least in part.
This pair of cottages was built as a house of some (maybe merchant-class)
status. It is very well-preserved but what is more remarkable is that it is
but one of many in this estate village.
Listing NGR: TQ5298637695
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings