This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1184 / 51°7'6"N
Longitude: 0.1846 / 0°11'4"E
OS Eastings: 552994
OS Northings: 137721
OS Grid: TQ529377
Mapcode National: GBR MPV.ZCV
Mapcode Global: VHHQK.45Y0
Entry Name: 1 and 2, the Walks
Listing Date: 20 October 1954
Last Amended: 24 August 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1241636
English Heritage Legacy ID: 440800
Location: Speldhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN3
District: Tunbridge Wells
Civil Parish: Speldhurst
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Speldhurst St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 52 37 SPELDHURST THE WALKS, OLD GROOMBRIDGE
16/597 Nos 1 and 2 (formerly listed as
20.10.54 No 1 The Walks Cottage)
Former house, now divided into 2 cottages. Probably early C18 with some C19
modernisation associated with the subdivision of the original house. Timber-
framed on coursed sandstone footings. Ground floor level is weatherboarded,
the rest is tile hung. Brick stack and chimneyshaft. Peg-tile roof.
Plan: House was probably built as a 3-room lobby entrance plan house facing
west onto Bird-in-Hand Street. Axial stack between the centre and right
(south) end room serves back-to-back fireplaces. The right room was probably
a parlour, the centre one a hall/kitchen and smaller unheated service end at
the left (north) end. Doorway to No 1 could be the original lobby entrance
and it occupies the service room and most (at least at ground floor level) of
the central hall/kitchen. No 2 has its doorway in the south end onto The
Walks. It occupies the former parlour and some of the hall/kitchen.
2 storeys with attics in the roofspace and cellar under the south end. Lean-
to outshot to rear (east side) has end corner stack.
Exterior: The west front has a 2-window front all serving No 1 and front
doorway right of centre. South front (No 2) has a symmetrical 2-window front
and central front doorway. All are old casements containing rectangular
(ground floor) and diamond (first floor) panes of leaded glass. Both doorways
contain plain panelled doors under shallow timber hoods with moulded edges.
Main roof is half-hipped to left and hipped to right (south) where there is a
hip-roofed dormer window. The north end includes a larder window; unglazed
but covered by a timber trellis.
Interior: Only No 2 was available for inspection at the time of this survey.
The ground floor fireplace is brick with a chamfered oak lintel. The room on
each floor has plain axial-joists. The roof of tie-beam trusses, A-frames
with staggered butt purlins.
It seems that this house was built after adjoing Nos 3-6 The Walks (q.v.).
Nos 1 and 2 The Walks is one of the exceptional group of C17 and early C18
buildings that make up Old Groombridge.
Listing NGR: TQ5299237724
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings