History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stockton Almshouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Stockton Town Centre, Stockton-on-Tees

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5643 / 54°33'51"N

Longitude: -1.3191 / 1°19'8"W

OS Eastings: 444127

OS Northings: 518998

OS Grid: NZ441189

Mapcode National: GBR MH7N.7L

Mapcode Global: WHD6Y.QJ2S

Entry Name: Stockton Almshouse

Listing Date: 21 June 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1067818

English Heritage Legacy ID: 59441

Location: Stockton-on-Tees, TS18

County: Stockton-on-Tees

Electoral Ward/Division: Stockton Town Centre

Built-Up Area: Stockton-on-Tees

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Stockton-on-Tees

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Norton

Listing Text

NZ 4419 SW STOCKTON ON TEES DOVECOT STREET
NZ 4418 NW (north side)

27/289
29/289
No 98. (Stockton Alms-
house)

II


Dated 1897. 2 storeys. 3 + 1 + 3 + 2 windows to Dixon Street. Last 2 windows
part of taller pavilion with 4 windows to Dovecot Street and with an angle.
Pink brick with grey stone- quoins cill and dressings to main pavilion. Wood
modillion eaves cornice. Slate roof, 6 brick chimneys. Glazing bar sash windows.
Windows of main pavilion have architraves, segmental headed with 3 keystones
and wooden mullions on ground floor, round headed with rusticated architrave
over entrance. Pedimented Gibbs doorpiece. Angle with Dixon Street has a thin
ground floor window with the date 1897 worked into keystone above a round headed
tablet with voussoirs struck into quoins, inscribed "Stockton Almshouses
Situation the east side of the High Street, rebuilt 1816 with a sum of money
bequeathed for that purpose by George Brown Esq, were sold and taken down AD 1896.
These buildings were erected with part of the purchasers money AD 1897" plus
a list of Trustees. Bottom quoin of angle laid by Thomas Walton, Mayor on 26th
October 1896 and so inscribed. Dixon Street front set back from larger pavilion.
Brick flat arches and stone quoins to windows. Centre projects slightly and
is crowned by a pediment containing a blind oculus with 4 keystones. At rear
of the North return are a pair of 4 centre arch headed windows with lozenge
glazing and label mould.


Listing NGR: NZ4412718998

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.