History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Atherton, Wigan

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4984 / 53°29'54"N

Longitude: -2.5377 / 2°32'15"W

OS Eastings: 364428

OS Northings: 400327

OS Grid: SD644003

Mapcode National: GBR BWQZ.DM

Mapcode Global: WH985.ZBRC

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 27 July 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1068481

English Heritage Legacy ID: 213496

Location: Wigan, WN7

County: Wigan

Electoral Ward/Division: Leigh West

Built-Up Area: Atherton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Westleigh St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Leigh

Listing Text

LEIGH

1480/1/28 FIRS LANE
27-JUL-1987 Westleigh
(North side)
Church of St Peter

II*
Church. 1880-1. By Paley and Austin. Brick with red sandstone dressings and slate roof. Nave and chancel separated by a central tower. Aisle and vestry on north side only; porch on south. 3-bay nave and 2-bay chancel with low weathered buttresses, continuous sill band and 2-light flat- headed windows, some paired, with Decorated tracery and brick hoodmoulds. Gabled porch with statue niche above arched doorway. Coped gables. Bold tower with pyramidal roof has heavy weathered buttresses, a 3-light transomed window, flat-headed belfry openings and an ashlar frieze below the parapet. 4 and 5-light transomed east and west windows. Lean-to aisle roof but no clerestory lights.
INTERIOR: circular columns with moulded capitals and bases support moulded brick arches in the north arcade. Heavily moulded brick responds support the tower arches and a ribbed quadripartite crossing vault. King-post roof trusses with curved wind braces to nave and hammer-beam roof trusses to chancel. Alabaster pulpit said to have come from Military Chapel of Manchester Cathedral. Stone font and reredos. Timber fittings. Stained glass.
One of Paley and Austin's more radical and consequently impressive designs.

Listing NGR: SD6442800327

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.