History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kinsham Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Kinsham, County of Herefordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.2791 / 52°16'44"N

Longitude: -2.9329 / 2°55'58"W

OS Eastings: 336453

OS Northings: 264955

OS Grid: SO364649

Mapcode National: GBR B9.YDMK

Mapcode Global: VH76Y.3ZW8

Entry Name: Kinsham Court

Listing Date: 17 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1068617

English Heritage Legacy ID: 149150

Location: Kinsham, County of Herefordshire, LD8

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Kinsham

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Kinsham

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


5/11 Kinsham Court


Country house. Late C18 and early C19 with further C20 alterations.
Brick, sandstone plinth; hipped slate roof. Irregular plan, main rectangular
block, with former entrance elevation to west, extended to east, further
minor accretions and entrance now to south elevation. Gable-end stacks
and axial stack to east wing. Three storeys to main wing, two storeys and
attics to east. West front: coved eaves cornice. Five glazing bar sash
windows, 6-pane to third floor, 12-pane to first and second floor with
altered glazing to two windows to the right of centre on the ground floor,
formerly with central doorway to this elevation. Entrance now through
glazed part-hexagonal porch with inner 6-panelled door to south side.
Interior: largely altered during C19 when entrance moved to south side
with the creation of a new staircase and hall. Lavish late C18 plaster-
work decoration survives in a drawing room to the north-east and is said
to have been by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard of Shrewsbury about 1760. Late
C18 panelling also survives in a second floor room to the north-west in
the main wing. Formerly part of the Estate of the Harleys, the Earls of
Oxford, it was originally a hunting lodge and Dower house. The house was
apparently also used by Florence Nightingale's family and by Lord Byron
who it is said, wrote or corrected "Childe Harold" here. During the C20
the house was owned by the Arkwright family; Sir John Arkwright wrote
"Oh Valiant Hearts". To the east of the south front is a large rectangular
lead water butt with the date 1781. The house commands fine views and is
situated above a steeply wooded dingle with the River Lugg below.
(Burke's and Savile's Guide to Country Houses, Vol II, p 42).

Listing NGR: SO3645364955

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.