History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Maison Dieu Museum

A Grade II* Listed Building in Faversham, Kent

Maison Dieu, Hospital of St. Mary, Ospringe, Kent

Uploader's Comments

The Maison Dieu (House of God) in Ospringe near Faversham was founded in 1235 by King Henry III and was run by the Knights Templar. It formed part of a hospital, royal lodge and almshouse and had a "Camera Regis" for the King's use when he was going to France by way of Dover. With the dissolution of the monasteries (by Henry VIII in 1516), it was given to St. John's-College, Cambridge. Countless crowned heads, English and European, stayed here overnight on their way to and from London and Dover.

Uploaded by Paul Moore on 5 September 2010

Photo Navigator

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.