This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2437 / 51°14'37"N
Longitude: 1.2272 / 1°13'37"E
OS Eastings: 625337
OS Northings: 154342
OS Grid: TR253543
Mapcode National: GBR VZZ.YYF
Mapcode Global: VHLGQ.7Z3Y
Entry Name: Goodnestone Park
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Last Amended: 3 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1070296
English Heritage Legacy ID: 177950
Location: Goodnestone, Dover, Kent, CT3
Civil Parish: Goodnestone
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
GOODNESTONE THE STREET
TR 25 SE
3/89 Goodnestone Park
13.10.52 (formerly listed as
House. Circa 1704 for Brook Bridges, altered c.1790, probably to designs
by Robert Mylne c.1770, and 1838 and 1844 by Rickman and Hussey all for
Bridges family. Red and blue brick with some bright red brick dressings
and ashlar and rendered dressings with slate roof. Entrance front:
Originally the house was 2 storeys, raised to 3 c.1790, with plinth, plat
band and cornice to hipped roof with stacks to left and to right. Nine
bays, the centre 5 in projecting centre piece with pediment. Nine half-
sized glazing bar sashes on top floor, and 6 full sized on first and ground
floors, all with heavy stone surrounds, with large pedimented Greek Doric
porch, with solid side walls behind screen. South Elevation: large pilaster
strip buttress and shallow canted bay as also on north elevation both
extending full height. East front: the original entrance front, 3 storeys.
9 bays, all glazing bar sashes with heavy stone surrounds, the centre 5
projecting with pediment enriched with arms of Sir Brook Bridges after 1842.
The central 3 glazing bar sashes on the first floor are pedimented. Central
triple arcaded entry on ground floor, with cornice on pilasters and 2 semi-
circular headed glazing bar sashes flanking double half glazed doors. Side
wing to right (north), 2 storeys and attic with plinth, plat band and parapet
to hipped roof, with 3 pedimented dormers and rear stack. Five glazing bar
sashes on each floor with a forecourt enclosed by a wall in English bond
brickwork. Interior: fine main staircase, in spacious stair hall, with open
string, enriched brackets, paired balusters, alternately fluted and barley
sugar enriched square newels, column-type balusters on half-landings, with
swept and ramped handrail, and ramped raised and fielded dado panelling.
Suite of 3 eastern rooms probably by Robert Mylne, c.1770 with central oval
entrance hall with niches and painted with drops of flowers and antique
style decoration, and flanking rooms with bowed ends (expressed in the
exterior bows). The house was the seat of Sir Brook Bridges, whose daughter
Elizabeth married Jane Austen's brother Edward in 1791. Jane Austen was a
frequent guest, especially from 1791 to 1797, and the house and estate figure
prominently in her correspondence and undoubtedly also in her work. (See
B.O.E. Kent II, 1983, 335; See also The Field, May 4 1985; see also house
guide, George Plumptre, 1979; see also G. Holyoake, Bygone Kent, 3/5/May 1982)
Listing NGR: TR2541554411
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings