This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2311 / 51°13'52"N
Longitude: 0.3075 / 0°18'26"E
OS Eastings: 561200
OS Northings: 150524
OS Grid: TQ612505
Mapcode National: GBR NQ0.LLH
Mapcode Global: VHHQ1.8BX1
Entry Name: Farmbuildings Adjoining to North of North Frith Farmhouse Including Long Barn
Listing Date: 19 February 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1070460
English Heritage Legacy ID: 179441
Location: Hadlow, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN11
District: Tonbridge and Malling
Civil Parish: Hadlow
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Hadlow
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
HADLOW ASHES LANE
TQ 65 SW
3/5 Farmbuildings adjoining to
north of North Frith Farmhouse,
including Long Barn
Ranges of farmbuildings. Dated 1856, some bomb blast damage in 1944, part
converted to domestic accommodation circa 1980. Brick, mostly Flemish bond;
most is ochre-yellow in colour but red brick and burnt headers are used
decoratively; peg-tile roof, stable range replaced with conrete pantiles.
Plan: Large E-plan building facing south and containing a complex of various
farmbuildings. Long tall range across the back with 3 ranges projecting
forward. The back range contains a former threshing barn to right (east)
which has now been converted to domestic use. The left end faces north. It
is open at ground floor level with a feed store. A cottage with large
projecting gable-end stack projects northwards from the centre of this back
range. It has been converted to domestic use along with the former barn and
is now known as Long Barn. The projecting block was built as a forge. The
open-fronted section was used for carts and horses waiting for the blacksmith.
The central of the 3 front ranges is taller and wider; it was a milking
parlour and includes a row of lean-to pig sties along the right (east) side.
Each end are low ranges containing animal houses facing inside. The left one
was probably stables, the right one cow houses. A passageway runs through the
wings alongside the rear range. North Firth Farmhouse (q.v.) is at the front
end of the right (eastern) end.
Exterior: Original windows have segmental arches over and contain iron-framed
pivoted casements with glazing bars. Original sliding plank doors. All the
buildings have eaves cornices of cogged brick which are carried round the
gable-ends. The threshing barn has been considerably altered when converted
to Long Barn. The large central double doorway has been reduced and a series
of large segmental-headed windows punched through. Most of the rest has been
little altered since it was built. The open arcade to the rear of the rear
range is carried on cast-iron columns under a large oak lintel. Above are 2
windows each side of a loading hatch doorway. The front (south) gable end of
the milking parlour has a large central doorway with a winder overlight above
with segmental arched head. Each side are small doorways and there is an
extra one to right into the front end of the pig sties. The top section of
the low-pitch gabled roof is lifted slightly to provide ventilation. In the
apex there is a stone plaque inscribed EG 1856. Along both side walls is a
series of lunette windows. Those to left have their original slatted windows
and those on the right have sliding windows fitted to the inside of the wall.
The roof includes sections of glass tiles to provide more light. The low left
ranges contains stable doors and windows. The windows and doors on the outer
(west) side are C20 insertions. The right range originally contained an 8-bay
arcade of elliptical-headed arches with brick imposts; the arcade is now
blocked. An ornate wrought iron weather vane is set into the ridge of the
rear block roof. It contains the initials NF (North Frith) with the date 1856.
Interior: Has plain but sturdy carpentry. The roofs are king post trusses
and the milking parlour roof is of aisled construction.
These attractive farmbuildings form part of a good group with the oast (q.v.),
granary (q.v.) and North Frith Farmhouse (q.v.) which was built as a model
farm by the owners of North Frith House.
Listing NGR: TQ6242949383
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings