This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.231 / 51°13'51"N
Longitude: 0.3067 / 0°18'24"E
OS Eastings: 561146
OS Northings: 150512
OS Grid: TQ611505
Mapcode National: GBR NQ0.LCY
Mapcode Global: VHHQ1.8BH4
Entry Name: North Frith Farm Oast
Listing Date: 19 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1070461
English Heritage Legacy ID: 179442
Location: Hadlow, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN11
District: Tonbridge and Malling
Civil Parish: Hadlow
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Hadlow
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
HADLOW ASHES LANE
TQ 65 SW
3/6 North Frith Farm Oast
Former oasthouse, now a field centre for wildlife and farming studies, Circa
1856, built as part of a model farm; some bomb damage in 1944, converted circa
1984. English bond brick including a large number of burnt headers giving it
a banded appearance in places; peg-tile roof.
Plan: The stowage faces south and has 4 attached hop kilns, 3 at the back and
one on the left (west) end. The end kiln has a narrow projecting chimneyshaft
which appears to be original. The stowage is 3 storeys and the ground floor
Exterior: The stowage has a symmetrical 5-window front. All have segmented
brick arches over and contain iron-framed pivoting casements with glazing
bars. At first floor level are loading hatch doorways right and left of
centre. Both contain original sturdy sliding plank doors on iron runners. 5-
bay open arcade at ground floor level of cast iron columns. These support the
outer ends of the crossbeams and above them is a large horizontal plat or
lintel across the front. Directly above (at first floor level) is a band of
cogged brick. Low segmental brick relieving arches down onto the cogged band
below each first floor window and a plain projecting band across the front at
window sill level.is interrupted by the loading hatch doorways. An eaves
cornice of cogged brick is interrupted by the upper window arches. S-shaped
iron ties at second floor level. Main roof is hipped each end. The right end
side continues in the same style with similar windows and an arcade of narrow
segmental-headed arches is now blocked by windows.
The hop kilns are circular in plan and unusually architectural. Around the
upper section are sunken rectangular panels with cornices of cogged brick.
The small windows with segmental arch heads are original. Windows and
doorways inserted circa 1984 have concrete lintels. Originally the conical
roofs were much taller and were coated brick. They suffered from bomb blast
damage in 1944 after which they were reduced considerably and given conical
roofs clad with peg tile.
Interior: Has plain but sturdy carpentry detail. 5-bay roof of large
scantling tie-beam trusses with raiked iron gussets over the joints and with
vertical iron rods between each apex and tie beam. There are sturdy dragon
ties across the corners at wall plate level.
This is an unusually attractive oast which forms part of a group of
contemporary farmbuildings (q.v.) and North Frith Farmhouse (q.v.) which was
built as a model farm by the owner of North Frith House.
Listing NGR: TQ6242949383
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings