This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2236 / 51°13'24"N
Longitude: 0.3369 / 0°20'12"E
OS Eastings: 563279
OS Northings: 149749
OS Grid: TQ632497
Mapcode National: GBR NQ7.805
Mapcode Global: VHHQ1.SHGV
Entry Name: The Close
Listing Date: 19 February 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1070464
English Heritage Legacy ID: 179453
Location: Hadlow, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN11
District: Tonbridge and Malling
Civil Parish: Hadlow
Built-Up Area: Hadlow
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Hadlow
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
HADLOW CARPENTERS LANE
TQ 63 49
7/17 The Close
House. Circa 1850-1860. Flemish bond brick, rear is probably timber-framed
and is clad with peg-tile; brick stacks with original divided chimneyshafts
and some original chimneypots; slate roof.
Plan: Double-depth-plan house facing south-east towards the High Street
There is a front and back room either side of a central entrance hall and main
stair. The left (south western) rooms are heated by an end stack whereas
there is an axial stack between the right rooms serving back-to-back
fireplaces. Former service wing to rear of right end is now in separate
House is 2 storeys.
Exterior: Symmetrical 3-window front of large 4-pane sashes, those on the
ground floor are taller. All the windows have exposed timber cases and the
first floor ones have eared architraves. Central doorway up stone steps in
recessed round-headed arch contains a panelled door and plain fanlight. The
centre bay breaks forward slightly and there are clasping buttresses each end,
a plinth, projecting brick bands at first floor level across the recessed
outer bays, and above the doorway a wide flat hood on moulded stucco consoles.
Deep eaves with plain soffits. Low pitch roof along front is hipped both
ends. To tear 2 parallel roofs at right angles to the front and both are
hipped to rear. The left (south western) side faces Carpenters Lane and has a
symmetrical 2-window front in the same style as the front except here the
windows have rubbed brick arches over.
Interior: Not inspected but original joinery detail is suspected.
The Close is one of an attractive group of varied buildings at the western
edge of Hadlow.
Listing NGR: TQ6327949749
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings