This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2234 / 51°13'24"N
Longitude: 0.3377 / 0°20'15"E
OS Eastings: 563340
OS Northings: 149734
OS Grid: TQ633497
Mapcode National: GBR NQ7.86S
Mapcode Global: VHHQ1.SHXZ
Plus Code: 9F3268FQ+93
Entry Name: South Lodge
Listing Date: 20 October 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1237249
English Heritage Legacy ID: 179517
Location: Hadlow, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN11
Civil Parish: Hadlow
Built-Up Area: Hadlow
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Hadlow
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
HADLOW HIGH STREET (south side)
TQ 63 49
7/81 South Lodge
Former lodge to Hadlow Castle (q.v.). Circa 1820, probably by George Ledwell
Taylor who designed Hadlow Castle (q.v.), enlarged in the mid C19. Cement-
clad brick; brick stacks and chimneyshafts, those visible from the street are
cement-clad and ornamental; slate roof.
Plan: Former lodge set back from the High Street. Along with the companion
North Lodge it flanks the ornamental gateway to Hadlow Castle (q.v.). In fact
it backs onto the street and faces south east. Main block has a 2-room plan
with central entrance hall and stair. The right room (next to the gateway)
has an axial stack backing onto the entrance hall and the left room has an end
stack. A kitchen block projects forward at an oblique angle from the left end
and has a rear lateral stack. Kitchen block rear end to the street where it
is hidden by a brick curtain wall.
The present layout appears to be mostly the result of a mid C19 refurbishment.
The original lodge was probably single storey with a 2-room plan, maybe even
just a single room.
2 storeys with single storey kitchen block.
Exterior: Distinctive Gothick style, the same as Hadlow Castle. Irregular 3-
window front of various C20 replacement casements. Central Tudor arch doorway
contains C19 studded plank door. The first floor window to left in jettied
and gabled porch-like bay. The right end bay is in the same Gothick style as
right end and back (the public sides); it includes a projecting ground floor
by with diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet and Tudor arch headed window.
The street front is very much a mirror image of the North Lodge, although here
some of the detail is now (1988) hidden by ivy. The left bay (nearest the
gateway) projects forward with panelled angle buttresses with weathered
offsets. They rise to poppyhead finials. The front and left end sides
include projecting bays with diagonal buttresses, embattled parapets and
contain recessed Tudor arches which contain windows. The end window contains
timber Y-tracery and the bay is flanked by narrow lancets, all containing
small diamond panes of leaded glass. Above the bay a shield outline with flat
hoodmould. Both sides have stepped parapets. To right of this room is a
blind lancet (the cement render has fallen off here) and alongside a mid C19
bay window, also containg small diamond panes of leaded glass. Parapet hides
the low pitch roof. At the right end an original ornamental chimneyshaft;
tall, narrow and octagonal with a lattice pattern around the shaft, moulded
cornice and embattled top. Only the moulded base remains of the other one.
The gap to the right between the South Lodge and Hadlow Bakery (q.v.) is
filled with a tall brick curtain wall. It ramps up in a curve as it extends
to right then down again as it returns forward.
Interior: Not inspected.
By circa 1900 this lodge was larger than its companion North Lodge (q.v.) and
local people remember it as the chauffeur's cottage.
Listing NGR: TQ6334049733
Other nearby listed buildings