This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1792 / 51°10'45"N
Longitude: 0.9031 / 0°54'11"E
OS Eastings: 603006
OS Northings: 146224
OS Grid: TR030462
Mapcode National: GBR SXW.14D
Mapcode Global: VHKKG.LMSD
Entry Name: Park Barn Farmhouse
Listing Date: 27 November 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1071315
English Heritage Legacy ID: 181355
Location: Boughton Aluph, Ashford, Kent, TN25
Civil Parish: Boughton Aluph
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 04 NW BOUGHTON ALUPH CANTERBURY ROAD
5/38 Park Barn Farmhouse
Former farmhouse, now subdivided. Late-C18 or early-C19 front but possible mid-C18 core. Mid-C19 single-storey rear extension.
MATERIALS: Red brick in Flemish bond, except for the north-west side which is in English bond. Roof now covered in C20 tiles. Two external side brick chimneystacks.
PLAN: Central staircase house with end chimneystacks modified by later single-storey rear extension. Two storeys two windows. Roof in three hipped ranges with rear range divided into three small hips.
EXTERIOR: The principal south-east front has two tripartite wooden sash windows with 20 panes and rubbed brick voussoirs. The central wooden doorcase has an open pediment, pilasters, panelled reveals and rectangular fanlight over a C20 four-panelled door. The south-western elevation has an external chimneystack, a 12-pane sash window and smaller C20 metal-framed casement. The ground floor has a C20 wooden casement window within an earlier surround with rubbed brick voussoirs. The single-storey extension to the west has a C20 tiled roof and C20 metal-framed casement. The north-west elevation has two first floor C20 casement windows and the southern window is partially obscured by the extension, which has C20 metal-framed casement windows.
INTERIOR: Central straight flight staircase with an C18 or early-C19 cupboard door underneath of three planks with handmade iron hinges. The original entrances into the south-east and north-east rooms were later blocked but retain the original architraves. The south-east ground floor room has two wooden spine beams, one of which is supported on a chamfered upright post, an open fireplace and a wide door with four fielded panels and original lock mechanism. A north passage leads to the north-east room which has a panelled spine beam, original folding wooden window shutters and a wooden fireplace suround with pilasters and oval carved paterae. The south-east room retains the outline of a large tapering chimney on the west wall, although only a C20 fireplace is visible. A former entrance in the north wall, originally leading to the adjoining room, has been blocked in brickwork. the wide four-panelled door in the west wall was the original back door before the extension was built. The first floor north-east room has a wooden fireplace surround with pilasters and the north-west room has a wooden fireplace surround with pilasters and four-panelled doors. The roof is of softwood with ridgepiece and collars. A date of 1742 is reported to be carved on a rafter.
HISTORY: Although a roof rafter is reported to be dated 1742 the exterior of the building appears of late-C18 or early-C19 date with an early to mid-C19 rear extension. The building appears on the 1872 Ordnance Survey map as the farmhouse to Park Barn Farm and its outline, which includes the later extension, has not altered since, except that a conservatory shown attached to the south side on the 1907 map has since been demolished. It is no longer a farmhouse but currently divided vertically into two flats (2010).
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Park Barn Farmhouse, a Georgian brick farmhouse, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural merit: a Georgian brick farmhouse, with early-C19 principal front with projecting plinth, tripartite windows and central pedimented doorcase.
* Interiors: the plan form is still readable, joinery includes panelled and plank doors, window shutters and three early-C19 fireplaces and the existence of wide chimneys, ceiling beams and wide door architraves suggest an earlier core.
Listing NGR: TR0300646224
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings