History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Helen

A Grade II* Listed Building in Overton, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.0112 / 54°0'40"N

Longitude: -2.8553 / 2°51'19"W

OS Eastings: 344046

OS Northings: 457576

OS Grid: SD440575

Mapcode National: GBR 8QH1.MV

Mapcode Global: WH84D.3FLT

Plus Code: 9C6V246V+FV

Entry Name: Church of St. Helen

Listing Date: 2 May 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1071774

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182195

Location: Overton, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA3

County: Lancashire

Civil Parish: Overton

Built-Up Area: Overton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Overton St Helen

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in



7/131 Church of St. Helen
(Formerly listed under General)


Church, C12th, altered 1771 and 1830, restored 1902. Sandstone rubble with
stone slate roof. Comprises a nave; a wider chancel, added in 1771, under a
continuous roof; a north transept with organ chamber and vestry, added in
1830. The west wall has a wide coping and is surmounted by a rubble bellcote
with pointed arch and gabled top. A 2-light window with plain stone surround
and square mullion lights the gallery. On the north side of the nave is a
similar window. The south wall of the nave and the south wall of the chancel
both also have a similar window. The south doorway is Norman and has 3 square
decorated orders and a hood mould. The carving is badly worn, but the outer
order appears to have beakhead ornament, the middle order chevron decoration
and the inner order to have carved designs. Above is a worn plaque. The east
window has a plain stone surround with semi-circular head with keystone and
impost blocks. On the north side of the chancel is a 2-light window with
plain stone surround and square mullion. The north transept has windows with
chamfered stone surrounds and semi-circular heads. On the east side they
are of 2 lights and one light. On the west side they are of one light, 2
lights (now blocked) and 2 lights. Against the north transept wall is a
gabled porch. Inside are 4 oak trusses with collars and raking queen struts.
The original tie beams have been removed from the 1st and 3rd trusses from the
west. The west gallery, added in 1830 according to a plaque in the north
transept, has panelled pews in grained softwood. The east wall has panels
painted with the 10 Commandments and the Lord's Prayer. Set into the south
wall is a C18th pulpit with moulded sounding board. The octagonal sandstone
font is set on a square base chamfered to an octagon.

Listing NGR: SD4404657576

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.