History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brennand's Endowed School

A Grade II* Listed Building in Slaidburn, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.9645 / 53°57'52"N

Longitude: -2.443 / 2°26'34"W

OS Eastings: 371033

OS Northings: 452142

OS Grid: SD710521

Mapcode National: GBR CQCL.WK

Mapcode Global: WH95X.FMW2

Entry Name: Brennand's Endowed School

Listing Date: 16 November 1954

Last Amended: 16 November 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072224

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183148

Location: Slaidburn, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Slaidburn

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Slaidburn St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


17/97 Brennand's Endowed school
16.11.1954 (Formerly listed as Slaidburn School)


School, early C18th. Squared limestone rubble with sandstone dressings
and stone slate roof. 2 storeys. The west facade is a 7-bay
symmetrical composition having quoins with channelled rustication and a
string course. The ovolo-moulded cross windows have architraves and
glazing bars. The central 1st floor window has a head carved on its
lintel. The door, in the central bay, has an architrave with a worn
carved head on the lintel. It is flanked by fluted pilasters supporting
an open segmental pediment. Within the pediment is an inscribed slate
with moulded border: 'THIS GRAMMAR SCHOOL was Erected and Endowed by
JOHN BRENNAND late of Panehill in this Parish, Gentleman, who died the
15th day of May in the Year of our LORD 1717'. Both gable walls have
2 blocked windows on each floor, similar to those at the front, 2 string
courses, a circular opening at attic level with plain stone surround, and
a gable coping. At the rear is a single-storey wing with 2 bays facing
south. The left-hand bay has a cross window similar to those at the
front. To the south of the wing are 3 bays of the main building facing
east, having windows similar to those at the front of the building,
except for the right-hand ground-floor window, which is modern. Interior;
The 1st floor was removed c.1880; the main building now comprises a single
large room with a flat ceiling with some later C19th plaster decoration.

Listing NGR: SD7103352142

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.