History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Hilda

A Grade II Listed Building in Beadlam, North Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2532 / 54°15'11"N

Longitude: -0.9968 / 0°59'48"W

OS Eastings: 465457

OS Northings: 484636

OS Grid: SE654846

Mapcode National: GBR PMG8.Z3

Mapcode Global: WHF9S.NCJ7

Entry Name: Church of St Hilda

Listing Date: 13 October 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072590

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468878

Location: Beadlam, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO62

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Beadlam

Built-Up Area: Nawton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kirkdale St Gregory

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Nawton

Listing Text

BEADLAM
SE 68 SE
A170
(North side)
336/7/10002
CHURCH OF ST HILDA

II

Parish church. 1882. Designed by Charles Hodgson Fowler. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings, plain tile roofs and coped gables with finials. Quoins. Chamfered plinth and sill band. Nave and chancel under single roof with dividing coped gable. Wooden square bellcote with, pyramidal wooden spire to west gable. South porch and north-east vestry. West front has 2 lancet windows with hood moulds and single mandola shaped window above, all in chamfered surrounds. North front has 2 chamfered lancets with hood moulds to nave. Projecting lean-to vestry with Caernarvon arched doorway to west and single small lancets to north and east, and gabled ashlar chimney stack. East front has 3 graduated chamfered lancets in single pointed ashlar opening with hood mould. South front has slightly projecting lean-to porch with bracketed hood and pointed arched doorway with double chamfered surround. Nave has 3 chamfered lancets and chancel has pair of chamfered lancets plus a single lancet beyond. INTERIOR has double chamfered chancel arch. Arch braced collar roof to nave incorporating wooden bell frame to west and lower painted panelled roof to chancel. Wooden pews and pulpit. Octagonal stone font. East stained glass window by Kempe & Tower cl903-05. Marble wall relief monument to Lilian Duncombe, 1905, carved by Countess Gleichen, daughter of Count Gleichen Prince Victor of Hohenlohen-Langenburg (also a sculptor and nephew to Queen Victoria).

Listing NGR: SE6545784636

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.