This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4406 / 51°26'26"N
Longitude: -2.8609 / 2°51'39"W
OS Eastings: 340261
OS Northings: 171638
OS Grid: ST402716
Mapcode National: GBR JC.NH2Q
Mapcode Global: VH7C7.C1FZ
Entry Name: Copse Road Chapel and Attached Hall
Listing Date: 29 August 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1072599
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468831
Location: Clevedon, North Somerset, BS21
County: North Somerset
Civil Parish: Clevedon
Built-Up Area: Clevedon
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST4071 CLEVEDON COPSE ROAD
Copse Road Chapel and
Congregational Free Church. 1851; attributed to Foster and Wood of Bristol. Limestone rubble of 2 colours and with freestone dressings. Concrete tile roof with open pedimental gable ends and bracketed deep eaves and verges. STYLE: Italianate. PLAN: the auditoriwn lies north-south with rostnun at north end and gallery at south end; and a transept [now partitioned off] on the north end of the east side; entrance vestibule with gallery stair and church rooms on the east side and cellar under the north end. In 1877 a hall was built on the west side. EXTERIOR: the south front has tall tripartite round-headed window with keyblock, transom, bracketed cill continuing as band left and right and window frames with margin panes. Lower range on right with hipped roof with modillion eaves and round-headed doorway on front with keystone and imposts to narrow round-headed side lights; the doorway and side lights set in recessed panels; right-hand [east] return pairs of round-headed windows and transept to right with open pedimental gable, oculus and 2 tall round-headed windows; similarly gabled north end and rounded windows on west side with similar gable to left. The hall on west side has tripartite round-headed windows with moulded string at impost level and cornice above with date 1877 and anthemion antefixae above; hipped roof with wooden clerestory.
INTERIOR: open timber roof with carved tie-beams on corbels. Gallery with timber and wrought-iron balustrade [now glazed underneath]. Rostrum with coffered panels and pilastered corners. Seating replaced. Transept now partitioned from auditoriwn. Vestibule has gallery staircase with twisted balusters. Hall has scissor-braced roof
Listing NGR: ST4026171638
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings