History in Structure

Numbers 4-22 (Even) and Attached Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Bexhill, East Sussex

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.8374 / 50°50'14"N

Longitude: 0.4733 / 0°28'23"E

OS Eastings: 574247

OS Northings: 107119

OS Grid: TQ742071

Mapcode National: GBR PXD.DHJ

Mapcode Global: FRA C6WW.G71

Plus Code: 9F22RFPF+W8

Entry Name: Numbers 4-22 (Even) and Attached Railings

Listing Date: 15 September 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072606

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468839

ID on this website: 101072606

Location: Bexhill-on-Sea, Rother, East Sussex, TN40

County: East Sussex

District: Rother

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Parish: Bexhill-on-Sea

Built-Up Area: Bexhill

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Bexhill St Barnabas

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in


TQ 70 NW

(south side)
Numbers 4-22 (Even) and attached railings


Row of bungalows. Built between 1903 and 1907 by various architects in a Moghul style. Nos 10-20 (even) were the first to be built by Durward Brown, followed by No.22 by Arthur Blackford and Nos 6 and 8 by W Tillott Barlow ARIBA, both of 1906, and finally No.4 built in 1907, architect not known but stylistically similar to Nos 6 and 8. No.4 is stuccoed with roof concealed by parapet but 2 domed chimneystacks. EXTERIOR: one storey and basement; 2 windows. Left side S-light canted bay with Moghul type arches and beehive glazed leaded lights. Central projecting porch with fretted balustrade, pilasters and double-arched door with round-headed fanlight above. Triple Moghul-arched window to right hand side. Attached spear railings. Rear elevation is of 2 storeys with C20 conservatory. Nos 6 and 8 were built in 1906 by W Tillott Barlow. They are a handed pair, almost identical to No.4 but with plainer porches. Nos 10, 12, 14, 14A, 16, 18 and 20 were the earliest bungalows built by Durward Brown between 1903 and 1906. They are built of brick in Flemish bond with shallow roofs with later C20 sheeted coverings. The intersection of each bay has cemented domed chimneystacks. One storey and basement; 7 windows. Curved five-light bays with leaded lights. Projecting porches with doors with fluted pilasters, arched panels and fanlights. Nos 14, 16 and 20 have in addition copper domes. Attached area railings with urn principals and scrollwork panels. Rear elevation of 2 storeys with wooden verandahs and late C20 patio doors. No.22 was built in 1906 by Arthur Blackford and is similar in style to Nos 10-20. Red brick in Flemish bond and flat roof with later C20 sheeted covering. One storey and basement; three windows. Projecting porch with wooden arched door. Left side S-light bay with C20 replacement window, one cambered mullioned and transomed window and one cambered window with later C20 casement. Small minaret to corner. Attached area railings. 2-storey rear with larger corner minaret and later C20 windows. HISTORY: the Maharajah of Cooch Behar occupied no 22 in 1911 to recuperate after attending George V's Coronation with adjoining houses occupied by his retinue but he died here on 18th September 1911.

Listing NGR: TQ7424707119

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.