History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Roman Catholic Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Chorley, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6524 / 53°39'8"N

Longitude: -2.6333 / 2°37'59"W

OS Eastings: 358236

OS Northings: 417513

OS Grid: SD582175

Mapcode National: GBR BV16.PF

Mapcode Global: WH97C.JG79

Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 21 February 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072652

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357571

Location: Chorley, Lancashire, PR7

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley

Town: Chorley

Electoral Ward/Division: Chorley North West

Built-Up Area: Chorley

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Chorley St George

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Chorley

Listing Text

SD 51 NE CHORLEY MARKET STREET

5/56 Roman Catholic Church of St.Mary
-
GV II


Church, 1853-4, by Joseph A. Hansom, with north-east tower 1894 by Pugin
and Pugin, apparently enlarged in early C20. Sandstone, with slate roof.
Nave (now embraced by flat-roofed aisles and long pitched-roof porch at
west end) with transepts and 3-sided apse. Most windows of nave and
transepts are of 2 cusped lights with a quatrefoil in the head, but west
window is 3 lights with elongated trefoil tracery, and north transept has
a large 5-light window with unusual slim Perpendicular tracery containing
elongated trefoils; apse has 3 groups of 3 small cusped lancets. Four-
stage tower attached in north-east angle has angle buttresses, diagonal
stair turret at north east corner which is polygonal in the upper half and
topped by a large pinnacle; in east side at 2nd level is an ornate niche
with traceried canopy continued as a demi-spire in the wall above; belfry
has 3-light openings with Perpendicular tracery; traceried parapet,
pinnacles. Interior nave has broad piers and depressed arches giving onto
aisles, no transept or chancel arch, but side chapels flanking sanctuary
have moulded 2-centred arches opening into transepts and sanctuary; nave
has ribbed wagon roof supported by hammerbeams and struts, sanctuary roof
has cusped braces and ribs.


Listing NGR: SD5823617513

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.