This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7679 / 53°46'4"N
Longitude: -2.6237 / 2°37'25"W
OS Eastings: 358984
OS Northings: 430353
OS Grid: SD589303
Mapcode National: GBR BS3W.R1
Mapcode Global: WH96S.NKT9
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard the Less
Listing Date: 11 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1073063
English Heritage Legacy ID: 357996
Location: Samlesbury, South Ribble, Lancashire, PR5
District: South Ribble
Civil Parish: Samlesbury
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Samlesbury St Leonard the Less
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 53SE SAMLESBURY POTTER LANE
1/91 Church of St. Leonard-the-Less
Church, substantially 1558, but with masonry of late C12 building visible
in both gables, and tower and porches of 1899. Nave and chancel in one,
with aisles, tower attached at north-west corner. Two gabled and timber-
framed porches on south side. Aisle and clerestory windows are all of 3
arched lights with stone mullions, deeply splayed reveals and hoodmoulds.
Arched 3-light west window with intersecting tracery; east wall contains
arched 3-light window with perpendicular tracery, a dripmould over it
with figured stops. Battlemented tower of ashlar with diagonal buttresses,
west door, 1st floor window, belfry louvres on all sides and stair turret.
Interior: nave arcades of 4 bays following line of original outer walls
(the west ends of which remain), composed of 3 short octagonal columns
with moulded capitals and matching responds at each end, and double-
chamfered 2-centred arches. Interior walls of coursed irregular masonry
now with ribbon pointing (plastered until 1884). Wooden ceiling on
slightly-cambered bridging beams and secondary beams, all chamfered
(concealed by reed and plaster ceiling until 1884); sloping aisle roofs.
Exceptionally complete set of individually constructed and decorated box
pews, most with dates and plates ranging from 1678 to 1756. Other notable
furnishings and fittings include: 2 levels of C18 3-decker pulpit; C17
Communion rail with turned balusters; funerary armour (sword, helm and
blazoned shield) believed to be that of Thomas Southworth of Samlesbury
Hall (q.v.) d. 1546; Royal Arms, Commandment, Creed and Lord's Prayer
Tables all painted on canvas; alabaster slab, incised, to Sir William
Atherton and his wife (d.1440 and 1480); memorial tablets of Geoffrey
Hornby (d.1801) and Mrs. Fielden (d.1859); a tub font, possibly Norman;
and C14 Sanctus Bell over east door. Numerous masons' marks on south
arade, exterior north wall, and jambs of east window. (VCH Lancs; Pevsner;
R. Eaton History of Samlesbury 1936; G. Clayton St Leonard the Less
Listing NGR: SD5898630362
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings