History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Roman Catholic Church of Saint John Southworth and Attached Presbytery

A Grade II Listed Building in Samlesbury, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7676 / 53°46'3"N

Longitude: -2.6181 / 2°37'5"W

OS Eastings: 359353

OS Northings: 430319

OS Grid: SD593303

Mapcode National: GBR BS4W.Z4

Mapcode Global: WH96S.RKGJ

Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of Saint John Southworth and Attached Presbytery

Listing Date: 27 February 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1074095

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358002

Location: Samlesbury, South Ribble, Lancashire, PR5

County: Lancashire

District: South Ribble

Civil Parish: Samlesbury

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Samlesbury St Leonard the Less

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Balderstone

Listing Text

SD 53SE SAMLESBURY off PRESTON NEW ROAD

1/97 Roman Catholic Church of
- Saint John Southworth
and attached presbytery

- II

Chapel with presbytery under one roof, dated 1818. Rubble, stone
quoins and dressings, slate roof hipped at west end which is
presbytery. Chapel of rectangular plan; entrance at east end in
round-headed doorway with stone jambs, a stone tablet above it
lettered:-
HOLINESS
BESEEMETH THY HOUSE
O LORD
AT ALL TIMES. PS. 92
1818

Stone band, from which rise 4 windows in each side (and 2 in the
east gable, which are now blocked), all stilted lunettes with
radiating glazing bars. Presbytery of 2 storeys and 3 bays,
symmetrical, facade of scored stucco, moulded stone doorcase with
semi-circular fan light (a modern glazed porch attached); all
windows sashed with glazing bars. Hipped roof with chimney on the
hip, another on the ridge behind, and a belfry on the apex. Interior
of chapel: a simple shell with flat ceiling; east gallery on 2 iron
columns; a rear wall behind altar has a large framing recess with
wide depressed arch flanked by Ionic columns bearing a dentilled
cornice and frieze lettered "ECCE PANIS ANGELORUM", altar surrounded
by curved communion rail with stick balusters.


Listing NGR: SD5935330319

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.