This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.6823 / 53°40'56"N
Longitude: -2.6128 / 2°36'46"W
OS Eastings: 359620
OS Northings: 420822
OS Grid: SD596208
Mapcode National: GBR BT6V.4Q
Mapcode Global: WH975.TPZY
Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of St Chad
Listing Date: 21 February 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1073096
English Heritage Legacy ID: 357692
Location: Whittle-le-Woods, Chorley, Lancashire, PR6
Civil Parish: Whittle-le-Woods
Built-Up Area: Wheelton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Whittle-le-Woods St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/02/2012
SD 52 SE
Roman Catholic Church of St. Chad
Roman Catholic Church dedicated to St Chad, originally chapel of 1791, designed by John Ashton and extended in 1857-1868 with the building of a new nave, sanctuary and church tower. The sanctuary was extended in 1888 replacing the earlier apsidal structure. The church was altered internally after severe fire damage in 1959. Coursed sandstone on plinth of large blocks, with stone quoins and dressings, slate roof with stone gable copings. Cruciform plan, nave added in 1896 to south side of original chapel which now forms wide transepts, with chancel on north side; short tower at south end of nave, incorporating entrance porch at ground floor. Nave has 2 windows at the south end (flanking the tower), 3 in each side; transepts have one in the south wall, 2 in the gable walls: all these are tall and round-headed with jamb stones and voussoirs, in vernacular style of similar pre-Emancipation chapels (altered glazing now in all). Tower has openings which are also round- headed, but in Italianate style, the simple doorways on each side set in tall shallow recesses which have moulded semi-circular heads containing circular windows, and impost bands below which are small triple-windows with round-headed lights; the upper stage is a belfry which has on each side 2 louvred openings with moulded semi-circular heads, linked by an impost band; roof is low-pitched, pyramidal, with projecting eaves. Interior: altered since fire, but transept arcades survive: 3 rounded arches with hoodmould, supported by polished columns with octagonal caps. In baptistery is an embroidered sampler, dated 1846, showing "Southill Chapel" at that date.
Listing NGR: SD5962020822
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings