History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tarleton, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6748 / 53°40'29"N

Longitude: -2.8239 / 2°49'25"W

OS Eastings: 345670

OS Northings: 420128

OS Grid: SD456201

Mapcode National: GBR 8TQY.FF

Mapcode Global: WH85Y.LWHQ

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 11 October 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073122

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357749

Location: Tarleton, West Lancashire, Lancashire, PR4

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire

Civil Parish: Tarleton

Built-Up Area: Tarleton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Tarleton Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Croston

Listing Text

TARLETON BANK BRIDGE
SD 42 SE
4/46 Church of St. Mary
-
11-10-1968 II*
-
Church. 1719, with small addition 1824. Handmade brick (formerly all
plastered), stone slate roof, bell-tower finished with ashlar. Small
rectangular 4-bay building with semi-octagonal apse, small rectangular
bell-tower finished with a rotunda, flat-roofed porch at this end. Each
side has four large round-headed windows, all with keystones and with
glazing bars continued as intersecting tracery, small triangular pilasters
between the windows; stone gable copings with flaming-urn finials on
kneelers and east gable; apse has one window in each canted side, like the
others, a modillioned cornice, and in the centre a rainwater head decorated
inter alia with the arms of Banastre of Bank (and dated 1719, according to
VCH). The full-width porch at the west end has a round-headed doorway with
imposts and keystone, flanked by round-headed windows with glazing to match
the other windows, and a low stone parapet; the exposed gable wall above
and the lower part of the tower are stuccoed, and each part has a small
round-headed window; the upper part of the tower, above a band, has in each
side a small belfry louvre with shaped triangular head and a moulded
cornice; the rotunda has a ball finial surmounted by a weather vane on a
slender stem; above the belfry louvre on the west side is a plaque dated
1824, with initials TD and GD. Interior: panelled west gallery, and added
matching extension to this along most of the south wall on fluted pillars
with moulded caps; box pews in eastern half; reading desk in centre of
north side; panelled octagonal pulpit; old iron stove; flagged floor; coved
ceiling except at west end over galleries, where 2 kingpost roof trusses
with very splayed Y-struts are exposed; gallery staircase at south west
corner, one straight flight with closed string and turned balusters (rises
through west gable wall from porch). Used as mortuary chapel (presumably
since 1886 when Church of Holy Trinity was built in Tarleton village).


Listing NGR: SD4567020128

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.