History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Topping's Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Tarleton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6803 / 53°40'49"N

Longitude: -2.8271 / 2°49'37"W

OS Eastings: 345464

OS Northings: 420742

OS Grid: SD454207

Mapcode National: GBR 8TPW.QG

Mapcode Global: WH85Y.JRZH

Entry Name: Topping's Farmhouse

Listing Date: 2 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073127

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357764

Location: Tarleton, West Lancashire, Lancashire, PR4

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire

Civil Parish: Tarleton

Built-Up Area: Tarleton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Tarleton Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Croston

Listing Text

TARLETON PLOX BROW
SD 42 SE
4/61 No.20 (Topping's Farmhouse)
-
GV II

Farmhouse. Dated 1651 on lintel of inner doorway of porch; altered.
Handmade brick, painted white, slate roof. Three-bay baffle-entry plan,
with service wing to rear of 3rd bay. Two storeys; single-storey gabled
porch in line with ridge chimney at junction of 2nd and 3rd bays, the
wooden lintel of the inner door inscribed "1651"; one window each side of
the porch and 4 at 1st floor, all large rectangular alterations (probably
c.1800) with altered glazing, but those at ground floor breaking the labels
of earlier windows, and in the 1st bay another label with its right-hand
returned end stepped up as if to link with another (evidence of blocked
doorway to the right). Left gable wall (down a slope at this end) has
remains of a label over an altered cellar window, the wall is set back
slightly at 1st floor, and there is another long label at this level. Rear
has a continuous label at ground floor with 2 short and one long step-ups,
a blocked doorway, remains of another label to the 1st bay, and various
windows similar to those at the front, including a 2-light sliding sash on
each floor of the centre. Interior: housepart in middle bay has 2
ovolo-moulded longitudinal beams tenoned into a full-width lateral beam (or
bressummer) near the chimney stack; one chamfered beam in 3rd bay; formerly
2 doorways to 1st bay (one blocked).


Listing NGR: SD4546420742

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.