This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5877 / 52°35'15"N
Longitude: -0.7247 / 0°43'29"W
OS Eastings: 486493
OS Northings: 299643
OS Grid: SP864996
Mapcode National: GBR CSK.PLH
Mapcode Global: WHFL1.V720
Entry Name: Uppingham School School Room
Listing Date: 10 November 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1073176
English Heritage Legacy ID: 186746
Location: Uppingham, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: Uppingham
Built-Up Area: Uppingham
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Uppingham St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP 8699-8799 UPPINGHAM
School: 1861-3 by G E Street. Of coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings. Slate
roof with coped gables and decorative ridge tiles. Gothic Revival. A long range of 2
storeys: one school room above ground floor divided into classrooms and open loggia.
Plinth. and string-course beneath first floor windows. East front punctuated by
gabled staircase projection with two 2-light windows with plate tracery, and a cusped
oculus above. Ground floor classrooms lit by pairs of rectangular windows treated
externally as pairs of lancets, flanked and divided by small columns with subtly
varied stiff leaf capitals, with carved bosses above, enclosed within arches.
Four-bay arched loggia carried on stocky cylindrical columns. Buttresses at north
corner. First floor lit by pairs of lancets (copied from Oakham Castle) divided by
columns and with nail-head decoration. North end has 5-light window with
idiosyncratic plate tracery. West front has boldly treated external stair, with
segmental soffit and massive corbel to upper level of 2 storey porch. Windows to west
front treated slightly more simply than those to east: those to ground floor
rectangular,chamfered and with moulded stops, those to first floor as east front but
without nail-head decoration. Rainwater heads: one with blind tracery, 2 dated 1861.
Tall lateral stack at south end. Forms one side of quadrangle, completed by New
School House and Science Block (qq.v.).
Listing NGR: SP8649399643
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings