This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6585 / 52°39'30"N
Longitude: -0.6712 / 0°40'16"W
OS Eastings: 489972
OS Northings: 307581
OS Grid: SK899075
Mapcode National: GBR DT5.C3Z
Mapcode Global: WHGLT.NFKS
Plus Code: 9C4XM85H+CG
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1073753
English Heritage Legacy ID: 187397
Location: Hambleton, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: Hambleton
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Hambleton
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SK 80 NE HAMBLETON
7/112 Church of St. Andrew
Substantial parish church, with some Norman work, but largely of the C13.
West tower, and spire, nave with clerestory, aisles and chancel. Coursed
rubble throughout. Tower and spire of late C13. Tower of 3 stages with
lancet openings and paired plate-traceried lights to bell chamber.
Parapet with gargoyles and squat recessed spire with lucarnes. South
aisle of well-coursed rubble with string course and parapet. Hood moulds
and corbel heads to late C13 traceried windows. South porch possible
C14, gabled with niche over door and finial cross. South doorway is
Norman, formerly with shafts but now only their capitals survive.
Scalloped and reeded. Billet motif and chevrons to outer arch.
Perpendicular clerestory with paired traceried lights and embattled
parapet. Plain round arched north doorway blocked. Chancel rebuilt
in 1892, with high string course, lancets and decorated style windows,
and restored perpendicular east window.
Interior has western tower arch on shafts with fillet moulding, nailhead
decoration and triple chamfer - late C13. Nave arcade of 4 bays, double
chamfered early C13 arches on circular piers with waterleaf capitals.
One pair of piers differ and are clustered shafts. C19 roof with main
trusses supported by corbelled arch braces, and with traceried struts.
Victorian chancel arch and chancel (1892) with sedilia wall tiles, ornateorgan
and gilded roof. Reredos by Egan. 3 painted panels in S. aisle by Alfred
Hemmings. Egan and Hemmings also responsible for stained glass of 1890s.
In S. aisle a monument - a coped coffin with head, shoulders and feet
of figure visible. Font, possibly C12. A low square with chamfered
corners on solid square base.
Listing NGR: SK8997207581
Other nearby listed buildings