This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6188 / 52°37'7"N
Longitude: -0.62 / 0°37'12"W
OS Eastings: 493521
OS Northings: 303231
OS Grid: SK935032
Mapcode National: GBR DTN.S2Q
Mapcode Global: WHGM1.FFZP
Entry Name: Luffenham Hall
Listing Date: 10 November 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1073899
English Heritage Legacy ID: 187029
Location: North Luffenham, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: North Luffenham
Built-Up Area: North Luffenham
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: North Luffenham St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SK 90 SW CHURCH STREET (South Side)
6/189 Luffenham Hall
Mansion. Mid C16-C18, and early C20 extensions by Gambier Parry. Ashlar
and coursed rubble stone with quoins and stone dressings and Collyweston
slate roof with several moulded stone ridge, end and side stacks. An
irregular outline, mainly of 2½ storeys, built at various periods.
Entrance front in 2 main sections, that to left of mid/late C16 of 2
storeys of stone mullion windows, 1-5-lights, with central projecting
3 storey gable of 1 2-light each floor. On left end massive projecting
side stack. Set back and extending left, a wing of early C20 with similar
windows. Entrance front right section of ashlar with plinth and bands.
Early C17. 2½ storeys of 3 2-light mullion and transom windows. Under
left 1st floor window a doorway surmounted by stone coat of arms of Digby
family. Part-glazed door. Over this section a large elaborate Dutch gable
with similar mullion and transom window in centre. To right a gabled
wing of early C20 with stone mullion windows. On garden front to rear
the twin span early C17 ashlar section, refronted early C18. Plinth,
1st floor band and mutule cornice. 2½ storeys of 4 12/12 sash windows
in moulded stone frames. Above are 4 2-light hipped dormers, and on ground
floor 3 lengthened windows with 9/9 sashes and centre right a stone framed
doorway and stone canopy with consoles. 7 stone steps lead up to 2 leaved
part-glazed door. Overlight above with glazing bars forming oval. On
roof row of 6 moulded stone stacks. On left end 2 2-light mullion and
transom windows both floors, a 3-light stone mullion window in gable
and 2 basement 2-lights. Extending left the early C20 wing with 2 storey
canted bay on end. On right of central section a gable with French window
and dormer with 2-light stone mullion window. Inside are early C17 oak
staircase with turned balusters, early C18 panelling and marble fireplace
in Drawing Room, early C17 fireplace and oak panelling, partly of same
date, in Dining Room, and further C17 and C18 panelling and C17 stone
fireplace on 1st floor. Cambered beam in fireplace of former kitchen.
Formerly the Manor House, this mansion became the Hall when earlier Hall
on adjoining site demolished in 1806. Owned by Harrington family,
1538-1599, then Digby to mid C18. Gotch, J.A. Country Life: 12.4.1919.
Listing NGR: SK9352103231
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings