This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.619 / 52°37'8"N
Longitude: -0.6212 / 0°37'16"W
OS Eastings: 493440
OS Northings: 303255
OS Grid: SK934032
Mapcode National: GBR DTM.ZQ0
Mapcode Global: WHGM1.FFFJ
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 10 November 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1073898
English Heritage Legacy ID: 187025
Location: North Luffenham, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: North Luffenham
Built-Up Area: North Luffenham
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: North Luffenham St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SK 90 SW CHURCH STREET (South Side)
6/185 Church of St. John The Baptist
Church. C12-C15, partly restored 1870. Ashlar and coursed rubble stone
with Collyweston slate roof to chancel and S porch, otherwise leaded
and battlemented roofs. Plinth, stepped buttresses. Hood moulds, some
with label stops. W tower, nave, aisles, chancel and N and S porches.
C13 W tower of 3 stages with buttresses, projecting NW stair turret,
W lancet with C19 stained glass, bell openings and battlements.Broach
spire with 3 tiers of lucarnes in alternating positions. Double
chamfered W arch to nave with hood mould. Polygonal responds. 4 bay late
C12 N arcade with circular piers and later pointed double chamfered arches.
4 bay C13 S arcade with circular piers and triple shafted responds. Arcades
have hood moulds and label stops. Perp clerestory with 4 2-light windows
either side and 4 bay low-pitch tie beam roof. N aisle has window with
Y tracery, 2 flat-topped windows, N door c1300, and N E window with
reticulated tracery. Chancel of c1300 with 3 N windows, 1 with C14
stained glass, another with fragments and shields of similar glass, and
also a small 2-light window. 5-light E window under segmental arch with
stained glass by Kempe of c1892. 3 S windows, S door and small 1-light
window. Very fine double sedilia with ogee arches and ballflower
decoration. Piscina with cusped arch. Roof of 1870 with curved braces
to curved collars. Ball flower frieze outside. S aisle has SE window
and also a S window with stained glass of 1880, S door c1300, and another
window with Y tracery, S porch also c1300. C14 octagonal front, and
partly C16 pulpit on C19 base. Fine series of wall monuments including
that to Simon Digby of 1582, to Susanna Noel of 1640 with portrait bust,
to John Digby of 1758 by F. Bingham of Peterborough, and that in brass
on sedilia wall of 1625 to Archdeacon Johnson, founder of Uppingham and
Oakham Schools. Fine brass chandelier of 1758, a memorial to John Digby.
In S arcade arches wall painting, probably C13, of tendrils and flowers.
Listing NGR: SK9344003255
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings