This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8418 / 52°50'30"N
Longitude: -1.3411 / 1°20'28"W
OS Eastings: 444476
OS Northings: 327341
OS Grid: SK444273
Mapcode National: GBR 7HB.XCY
Mapcode Global: WHDH8.CTLT
Entry Name: Baptist Church
Listing Date: 16 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074134
English Heritage Legacy ID: 358085
Location: Castle Donington, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, DE74
District: North West Leicestershire
Civil Parish: Castle Donington
Built-Up Area: Castle Donington
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Castle Donington St Edward the King and Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
CASTLE DONINGTON BONDGATE
9/38 Baptist Church
Baptist church. Plaque on front gable is inscribed: 'General Baptist Chapel,
Erected 1774. Enlarged 1827'. Vestries added to left 1875. Other mid C19
extensions to right, formerly sunday school and minister's house, and hall
erected in 1908, are not of special architectural interest. Brick with stone
plinth, the front rendered and colourwashed with stone coping to gable. Slate
roof. Galleried. Front has 3 bays of C20 wooden windows that resemble appear-
ance of former sashes. These windows have painted stone sills, voussoir heads
and triple keyblocks. Off-centre double doors with semi-circular fanlight, in
rusticated stone surround with moulded open pediment on shaped scroll brackets.
At apex of gable is a lozenge-shaped vent with similarly shaped surround.
Attached to right, below window, are late C18-early C19 memorial slabs to
members of Carr family. Side and rear walls have gallery windows with semi-
circular heads, the left side also with later brick vestries. Interior has
early C19 gallery around 3 sides, on cast iron columns with acanthus capitals.
Panelled balustrade with fluted pilasters and gilded embossed paper ornament.
South wall has central organ recess with semi-circular arch on piers. Piers and
wall frieze also have embossed paper ornament. In front of recess is altered C19
semi-circular pulpit with arcaded panels, on cylindrical pier with foliated
capital. Communion rail and steps to pulpit have cast iron balusters. Early
Cl9 seating to gallery, late C19 seating below. Ceiling has wooden ribs and
some ornamental plaster panels.
Listing NGR: SK4447627341
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings