History in Structure

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade I Listed Building in Lockington-Hemington, Leicestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.8469 / 52°50'48"N

Longitude: -1.3065 / 1°18'23"W

OS Eastings: 446801

OS Northings: 327931

OS Grid: SK468279

Mapcode National: GBR 7HD.DJ2

Mapcode Global: WHDH8.XP0W

Plus Code: 9C4WRMWV+P9

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 7 December 1962

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1074178

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358192

ID on this website: 101074178

Location: St Nicholas's Church, Lockington, North West Leicestershire, DE74

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire

Civil Parish: Lockington-Hemington

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Lockington St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in
Castle Donington


SK 42 NE
Church of St Nicholas
Parish church. Earliest feature is north doorway of c1200. C13 nave arcades
and chancel, the chancel with some late C14 windows. South aisle widened very
early C14, north aisle slightly later. C15 west tower. Clerestory added late
C15. South porch rebuilt 1946. Dressed stone with ashlar tower, lead roofs
except for tiled chancel. Tall C15 tower of 4-5 stages with chamfered plinth
and strings, off-set angled buttresses, and battlemented parapet with corner
finials and carved gargoyles. Bell-chamber has pairs of 2-light traceried open-
ings with dripmoulds. West side also has small rectangular window with 2
traceried lights to central stage, arched 3-light traceried window below, and
small inserted doorway with semicircular head. Slit windows to south west
stairs. Nave has moulded parapet and 4-bay clerestory with 3-light windows in
surrounds with 4-centred heads. Aisles also have moulded parapets, and cham-
fered plinths, sill strings and off-set buttresses. Each aisle has 3-light west
window, 2 3-light windows to either north or south, and a fine 5-light east
window. All windows in south aisle have intersecting tracery, whilst those to
north aisle are similar but cusped. North aisle also has truncated battlements
and door with fine moulded semicircular arch and capitals of former shafts.
South door has early C14 pointed arch, finely moulded and with label over.
Gabled south porch with double chamfered arch, the inner order on shafts with
worn carved capitals, the left stiff-leaf, the right with cable moulding.
Another worn carved stone is re-set in inner walls of porch. Chancel raised and
re-roofed C16. West bay of chancel retains pairs of C13 narrow arched lights,
those to south blocked below low transom. Windows in east bay are C14, part
restored, and have 3 traceried lights. Blocked north door; small south door
with moulded semicircular arch. East wall of chancel has C20 3-light window
with intersecting tracery, and memorial slab to Edward Staples, 1697.
INTERIOR: arch to tower is triple chamfered with moulded imposts. Nave arcades
are of 4 bays and have double chamfered arches on cylindrical piers with moulded
capitals and bases. At each end, inner order rests on half-piers with central
fillet, except for later corbel at north east corner. Label has restored carved
heads. Fine nave roof of late C15 date, with moulded beams, carved spandrels
and carved foliage bosses. Aisle roofs are similar but with plain spandrels.
West wall of north aisle incorporates part of rebuilt C12 semicircular arch with
moulded zig-zag ornament. Aumbry in north wall. South aisle has piscina with
cusped arch on shafts. Chancel arch is mostly obscured by tympanum of 1704, but
retains moulded piers with moulded imposts. North aumbry. Arched piscina and
triple sedilia with shafts. FITTINGS: are very fine. Rood screen is C15 with
elaborate traceried panels and inserted C17 balusters. Above is a splendid
tympanum dated AR 1704, all painted plaster, with texts in panels and curtains
drawn aside to reveal magnificent royal coat-of-arms. Nave has 2 C15 benches,
with poppyhead ends. 4 similar bench-ends have been rebuilt into reading desk
and seat, and 4 more into benches in south aisle. South aisle has C15 parclose
screen to east end, also with traceried panels. North aisle has 4 C18 panelled
box pews, mid-late C18 2-decker pulpit, and large medieval chest with iron
straps. Chancel has mid C17 turned wooden altar rails but table of c1600 has
been moved to south aisle. Scraped circular stone font is possibly C12. There
is also a C18 marble font of baluster type. Organ gallery at west end of nave
rests on C18 wooden columns. Windows contain many fragments of medieval
stained glass but east window is early C20. ..................................
Elizabeth Bainbrigge 1614 in chancel, with wooden canopy above; 2) mid C18
marble wall tablets to members of Bainbrigge family flanking east window,the
left also with wooden canopy; 3) small C17 brass inscription tablets; 4) tomb
chest with effigy of Elizabeth Langhan, 1501, the sides with small figures of
monks, all in painted marble; 5) 4 large C16 alabaster slabs with incised
figures and inscription 6) various C18 and early C19 marble wall tablets,
mostly to members of Bainbrigge and Storey families, one of 1797 with carved
allegorical figure.

Listing NGR: SK4680127931

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.