This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7024 / 52°42'8"N
Longitude: -1.0383 / 1°2'17"W
OS Eastings: 465080
OS Northings: 312068
OS Grid: SK650120
Mapcode National: GBR 9N4.GBW
Mapcode Global: WHFKB.0BVM
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 1 June 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074484
English Heritage Legacy ID: 189534
Location: Queniborough, Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE7
Civil Parish: Queniborough
Built-Up Area: Queniborough
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Queniborough
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 61 SE MAIN STREET (North Side)
Church of St. Mary
Parish Church. Largely late C13 to early C14, but with parts of the fabric
considerably earlier. Granite and Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings.
West tower and spire, nave with clerestory and 2 aisles, chancel. The tower
is coursed granite rubble with white ashlar dressings. 3 stages, with angle
buttresses, and Perpendicular west doorway with tall 2-light window above.
Clock and square latticed stonework opening to 2nd stage. Paired traceried
lights to bell chamber above. Quatrefoil lozenge frieze and corbel table. Embattled
parapet. Tall and very slender needle spire recessed above, in white stone.
Crockets on all the angles and 3-tiers of lucarnes, the lowest a triple light
opening with a triangular head and geometric tracery. All have crocketted gables.
South aisle is coursed sandstone rubble, with a Y-traceried west window, almost
round arched, with corbel heads. Its south wall is rendered and buttressed,
some of the buttresses clearly relatively recent additions. South door in
low-pitched porch. Decorated early C14 tracery to the 3 windows, uncusped 3-light
ogees, with stone corbel heads: some tracery renewed. Stone plinth and eaves
cornice. Perpendicular clerestory is coursed granite rubble and the 3-light
windows have hood moulds and a concave chamfer or splay. Impression of earlier
steeply pitched chancery roof in its east wall. Chancel is the earliest part
of the fabric: Coursed granite rubble or cobble, with 2 Decorated traceried
lights with corbel heads in south wall. Its east wall is rendered over rubble,
and there is a fragment of sill course cut by the east window which is 3 lancets.
In the north wall, one Decorated window and one small round arched opening,
late Saxon or early Norman, with the arched head cut from a single stone. Its
sill is part of a band which is continuous across the north wall, and which
would have linked with the fragment on the east wall, suggesting that the east
wall was partially rebuilt when its window was inserted and that the main fabric
of the chancel is late Saxon or early Norman. North east angle of nave has
big rough quoins in its lower section. Buttressed north aisle with hoodmoulds
with corbel heads to its 3 windows which have quatrefoils above 3 trefoiled
lights. North doorway has a moulded ogee archway on triple chamfered piers.
Inside, a nave arcade of 4 bays, round piers and double chamfered arches: circular
capitals to south, some nail head decoration to north: north east respond cut
away partially. West bay filled by low modern wood partitions. Blocked in triple
chamfered arch to tower, and above it the impression of the earlier steeply
pitched nave roof. Nave roof is Perpendicular: moulded tie beams have ornately
carved and picturesqe central bosses: beasts etc. Smaller foliate bosses by
purlins. Aisle roofs are a rougher construction. Wide early C14 double chamfered
chancel arch. Doorway to former rood to north. Perpendicular wood chancel screen
with traceried openwork upper panels above a vine frieze and lower panels with
foliate tracery pattern, 3 each side of a central finely worked archway. Chancel
walls are exposed rubble. Piscina to south, aumbrey to north. Both south windows
are contained in full height recesses. Deep single splay to the earlier north
window. Low pitched perpendicular timber roof with moulded tie beams.
Plain font, probably C13: a heavy round basin on a round stem. Stained glass
in chancel, the east window of 1918 in the style of Burne Jones, 2 others in
the chancel of the 1920's. Wall memorial tablet below north east arcade respond:
1586, carved inscription and a rampant lion. Brass memorial to Margaret Bury,
Listing NGR: SK6508012068
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings