This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6289 / 52°37'44"N
Longitude: -1.1279 / 1°7'40"W
OS Eastings: 459127
OS Northings: 303818
OS Grid: SK591038
Mapcode National: GBR FHM.YH
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.N54Y
Entry Name: New Walk Museum
Listing Date: 5 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074797
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188761
Location: Leicester, LE1
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester Holy Trinity with St John the Divine
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
This list entry was subject to a Minor amendment on 08/08/2018
NEW WALK (South West Side)
No 53, New Walk Museum
(Formerly listed as Museum (including Lord Mayor's Rooms) NEW WALK)
Built in 1836 as a Nonconformist Proprietory School and sold to the Corporation in 1848 for use as the Museum. Architect J. A. Hanson. A large classical building in stucco with massive tetrastyle portico with giant Tuscan columns. Central entrance door with small moulded cornice on console brackets. Later additions on three sides. To left of portico 1876, large, of grey brick by Shenton and Baker, to right of portico 1932, stuccoed, by Albert Herbert, rear elevation with giant pilasters and pediment.
New Walk Museum and No 47 and Nos 58 to 64 (even) New Walk together with Nos 1, 3 and 5 Museum Square and Nos 59 to 61 (odd) Princess Road West and No 1 West Street form a group around Museum Square.
Listing NGR: SK5912703818
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings