This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6358 / 52°38'8"N
Longitude: -1.1268 / 1°7'36"W
OS Eastings: 459191
OS Northings: 304582
OS Grid: SK591045
Mapcode National: GBR FJK.60
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.N0MP
Entry Name: Alexandra House
Listing Date: 22 August 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074809
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188791
Location: Leicester, LE1
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: The Resurrection
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK59190457 RUTLAND STREET
718/8/327 ALEXANDRA HOUSE
Bootlace warehouse. Designed and built 1895 to '98, by Edward Burgess (architect) for Sir Samuel Faire. Damaged by bombing c. 1941. Cleaned 1990. Steel frame with buff-coloured granite plinth. Rutland Street elevation, nine windows, Southampton Street elevation six windows. Ground floor, plain two-light windows. First and second floor windows divided by tapered square pilasters supporting entablature above, with frieze of shell coves and small figures supporting console brackets. Above is ornate balustered balcony to round arched third floor windows with shafts between rising to pinnacles above parapet. The first and second floor windows are two-light with fluted and panelled pilasters.
The end bays project slightly with pediments over with finials. The corner is splayed and is flanked by wide flat pilasters surmounted by corbelled octagonal turrets with short spires. These turrets flank the circular drum of what was once a dome. Ground floor of corner is round-arch entrance with semi-octagonal pilasters, first floor two-light window with shell tympanum flanked by torch finials, three-light second floor window with ornate frieze and balustered balcony to round-arch third floor window. elaborately pierced parapet above.
INTERIOR. Hexagonal entrance lobby has domed vault decorated with blue and gold tiles. Two staircases with wooden turned balusters. A number of offices survive on the lower three floors mostly decorated with wooden panelling. There are small personal offices for high-grade staff with elaborate panelling and fireplaces. some even have Jacobean style plaster ceilings. The larger staff offices have plainer painted panelling with etched glass.
Listing NGR: SK5919104582
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings