This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6443 / 52°38'39"N
Longitude: -0.8244 / 0°49'27"W
OS Eastings: 479636
OS Northings: 305816
OS Grid: SK796058
Mapcode National: GBR CRV.8D4
Mapcode Global: WHFKM.9SNQ
Entry Name: Withcote Hall
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074844
English Heritage Legacy ID: 190653
Location: Withcote, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE15
Civil Parish: Withcote
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Owston and Withcote (Whatborough Parishes)
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 70 NE OAKHAM ROAD (South East Side)
2/124 Withcote Hall
Country House. Early C18, incorporating fragments of an earlier building
restored early C19. Finely coursed ironstone with limestone ashlar dressings
and Swithland slate roofs. 2 storeyed with attics. Entrance (west) front of
7-bays (2-3-2) the central 3 bays advanced slightly and pedimented. Central
doorway in porch that is probably a C19 addition, but appropriately detailed
with scrolly open pediment. 12-light sash windows flank the doorway, while
above it, the central window is given emphasis by a lugged architrave with
volutes. In the apex of the pediment is a finely wrought shield of arms. Outer
bays have 2-light sash windows to each floor, blind to ground floor right.
All windows are in architraves with key stones. Plinth and string-course which
is continuous across the facade and rises to form hoodmoulds to lower windows.
Quoins on angles and to pedimented centre. Coved eaves cornice. Garden front
(south) of 9 bays, 2-5-2, the outer bays forming projecting wings with hipped
roofs and 12-light sash windows in each floor. Blank openings on their inner
faces. Central doorway with broken pediment containing an urn, lightly supported
on re-used Jacobean pilasters: high bases to fluted shafts with lozenge decoration
in capital. Windows are all 12-light sashes with architraves with key stones,
and string-course forms hoodmoulds to ground floor openings. Roof recessed
slightly beyond parapet. 3 segmentally arched gabled dormers in central section.
Axial stacks. Against rear wall a derelict single storeyed range with 3 windows
and blocked door with shell canopy, re-used and probably late C17. In the
north wall of the house a single 2-light caveto moulded mullioned window with
hoodmoulds to first floor suggests its earlier origins.
A tablet in the church records that Reverend Henry Palmer, d. 1856, extensively
restored the house, and so presumably much of the interior work is his: 2
rooms have very richly worked plaster panelled ceilings, probably executed
by Italian craftsmen. Deep rectangular panels in each, in the dining room
these are heavily worked with a design of flowers and urns etc. in the sitting
room each section of panelling is differently wrought with tiny intricate
patterns, and there is a frieze with blank shields. Another room has parquet
wall panelling throughout laid to form geometric patterns in dado. Central
hall, top lit by lantern, also with fine plaster work ceiling, and late C18
staircase, cantilevered stone with wrought iron balustrade. House reputedly
built by Matthew Johnson, d. 1723, who bought the estate from the poet and
favourite of Charles II, Lord Rochester.
Listing NGR: SK7963605816
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings