This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6029 / 52°36'10"N
Longitude: -0.9754 / 0°58'31"W
OS Eastings: 469491
OS Northings: 301065
OS Grid: SK694010
Mapcode National: GBR BQQ.S94
Mapcode Global: WHFKQ.ZTQW
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 29 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074849
English Heritage Legacy ID: 190659
Location: Gaulby, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE7
Civil Parish: Gaulby
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Gaulby Group
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 60 SE
29.12.66 Church of St. Peter
Church. C16 chancel, rest 1741. By John Wing the Elder, of Leicester, for William
Fortrey. Ashlar and coursed squared stone with stone dressings and leaded roof,
with parapet to nave. Stone coped gables. W tower, nave, chancel and S porch.
Tower of 3 stages in Gothic form but mainly with classical details. Plinth,
clasping buttresses, W round-arched doorway with keystone and imposts and 2-leaved
5-panelled door with panelled semicircle over. Semicircular windows to N and
S. Bull's eye windows and clock face on 2nd stage. Over this a running band
frieze and cornice band. 4 tall round-arched bell-openings, the key stones being
linked to the cornice above. Parapet with cornice rising at the corners and
4 obelisks in the middle and 4 corner pinnacles : fluting, volutes and pagoda-like
tops, similar to tulip vases. The nave has buttresses with set-offs and 3 3-light
Late Perp. style windows either side. Hood moulds, transoms and cusped lights.
Rounded tower arch to nave. 5 bay low-pitch tie beam roof. Double chamfered
chancel arch. Chancel with N window and C18 N door. Late Perp. 5-light E window
with stained glass of 1844. S window, piscina, and blocked window. 4 bay low-pitch
tie beam roof. S porch to nave has flat roof and round-arched doorway with keystone
and imposts. 2-leaved 5-panelled door and 2-pane fanlight. Inside are marble
baluster font, the upper part of former 2-decker pulpit,restored C18 oak communion
rail with turned balusters and wall monument of 1728. Pevsner.
Listing NGR: SK6949101065
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings