This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2587 / 52°15'31"N
Longitude: -1.0743 / 1°4'27"W
OS Eastings: 463280
OS Northings: 262684
OS Grid: SP632626
Mapcode National: GBR 9TH.C6G
Mapcode Global: VHCVF.BHFB
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 18 January 1968
Last Amended: 29 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1075243
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360682
Location: Brockhall, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN7
Civil Parish: Brockhall
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Brockhall St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
5/37 Church of St. Peter and St.
(Formerly listed as Church of
Church. C13, C15, restored, re-roofed and chancel rebuilt 1874 by E.F. Law.
Uncoursed ironstone and limestone rubble and ironstone ashlar, lead roofs.
Chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch, west tower. One-bay chancel has 3-light
Decorated style C19 east window, 2-light Perpendicular windows north and south
with straight heads. Chancel has slate roof and stone coped east gable. Nave has
two 2-light windows with Perpendicular tracery to north side, offset buttresses
to angles and between bays and north door with chamfered sunk-quadrant-moulded
arch. To west of door C19 addition with 3-light straight-headed Perpendicular
style north window. South aisle has 3-light Perpendicular east window, a 2-light
window to east of porch with coupled lancets under hood mould with label stops,
a single cusped lancet to west of porch. South door has round-headed arch on
imposts within gabled south porch. Triple-hollow-chamfered doorway with
4-centred head and 2-light Perpendicular windows. North and south 2-stage west
tower within west end of nave has lancet window in projection to west wall and
2-light bell openings. All windows have hood moulds, some with label stops.
Battlemented parapet to tower, otherwise plain parapets. Interior: nave has
3-bay south arcade with circular piers, simple moulded capitals, and chamfered
round arches, a plain pier with impost to east and polygonal respond with half
capital to westernmost arch. Pointed and double chamfered north nave windows
have deep splays and intermediate arch. Early C14 tomb recess in south aisle
with inscribed slab framed by cusped arch with ball flower ornament and
crocketted hood mould with foliage finial. North and south door has pinnacled
Gothick inner surrounds. Octagonal font with fleurons and pyramidal timber
cover. Mid C19 stained glass east window and 2 late C14 roundels in north nave
windows. Royal Arms of George III, oil on canvas, in tower. Early C19 chamber
organ. 4 hatchments to members of Thornton family - oil on canvas- and numerous
C18 and C19 wall monuments. One to Elizabeth Trimmell d.1757, signed by John
Hunt, Northampton, and another to Thomas Thornton d.1783, by William Cox.
(Buildings of England: Northants, p.127).
Listing NGR: SP6328062684
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings