This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2585 / 52°15'30"N
Longitude: -1.0746 / 1°4'28"W
OS Eastings: 463262
OS Northings: 262662
OS Grid: SP632626
Mapcode National: GBR 9TH.C4B
Mapcode Global: VHCVF.BH8H
Entry Name: The Hall
Listing Date: 18 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1075245
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360685
Location: Brockhall, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN7
Civil Parish: Brockhall
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Brockhall St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
5/40 The Hall
Country house. Early C17, remodelled c.1800 in Gothick manner by owner Thomas
Reeve Thornton; park front re-windowed 1912 in Jacobean style by firm of Law and
Harris. Ironstone ashlar, lead roofs, stone internal stacks. H-plan originally,
made double-depth in later alterations. 3 storeys. 5-window entrance front has
recessed centre between bay windows in angles and single-bay wings. Central
6-panel double-leaf door in moulded stone architrave with plain frieze and
cornice on tapering pendant supports - probably C18 in Jacobean style - flanked
by 2-light leaded arched stone mullion and transom windows. Similar windows to
sides of bays either side which have similar 4-light windows to front; similar
4-light windows to ground floor of projecting wings. Similar tiers of windows
without transoms to first and second floors, diminishing in height. Plinth,
string courses above window heads and below plain stone coped parapets. Parapets
truncated slightly raised over wings and recessed centre, with bases of
truncated pinnacles. 4-window park front to left side has similar 3-light
windows set in slight projections. Rear elevation retains its Gothick pointed
arched windows and has small pointed arched door to right below large 2-light
window cutting across first floor string course and lighting staircase. Transom
and Y-tracery. Groups of 3-pointed arched Gothick sash windows to projecting bay
to right and to 2-storey wing at right angles to left end with C19 single-storey
billiard room extension. 4-window right side elevation to churchyard has
irregular fenestration of 2-, 3- and 4-light stone mullion windows, those to
first and second floors with hood moulds and projecting staircase tower.
Interior: one ground floor room has C17 panelling assembled from other parts of
house, interiors otherwise mostly C18, including Dining Room with Gothick
plasterwork frieze on miniature corbels. The Staircase Hall has neo-classical
stucco ceiling and flying staircase with iron balustrade with unusual plant like
forms and ramped mahogany handrail; an identical balustrade designed 1801 by
John Patersson of Edinburgh for Francis Sitwell is to be found at Barmoor
Castle, Northumberland. Drawing Room plaster ceiling in Adam style of 1889 by C.
Wood. Secondary staircase in tower with late C17 or early C18 turned balusters;
probably original principal staircase. Seat of the Thorntons from 1625 until
purchased in recent times by the present owner. Thomas Reeve Thornton who
carried out alterations c.1800 appears to have acted as his own architect. He
also landscaped the grounds with the advice of a Mr. Webb.
(Buildings of England: Northants, pp.127-8; Country Life, Nov. 26, 1964, p.1428
et seq. and letter, Jan. 7, 1965; Colvin, A Dictionary of British Architects,
Listing NGR: SP6326262662
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings