History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Canons Ashby House

A Grade I Listed Building in Canons Ashby, Northamptonshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.1512 / 52°9'4"N

Longitude: -1.1576 / 1°9'27"W

OS Eastings: 457731

OS Northings: 250655

OS Grid: SP577506

Mapcode National: GBR 8TF.24Z

Mapcode Global: VHCVY.W6C7

Entry Name: Canons Ashby House

Listing Date: 18 September 1953

Last Amended: 24 February 1987

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1075304

English Heritage Legacy ID: 360519

Location: Canons Ashby, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN11

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry

Civil Parish: Canons Ashby

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Find accommodation in
Moreton Pinkney

Listing Text

19/29 Canons Ashby House
18/09/53 (Formerly listed as Canons
Ashby Hall)
Country house. Mid C16 with earlier origins, extended c.1590, embellished
c.1632, south front remodelled and other alterations made 1708-10. Coursed
ironstone rubble, ironstone ashlar, brick, limestone dressings, tile roofs,
stacks mostly brick, some stone. H-plan, extended to courtyard plan. 5-window
west range to Green Court, entrance front until c.1840, of brick rendered, has
early C18 central 8-panel double-leaf door in moulded stone frame with console
keyblock flanked by plain Doric pilasters, supporting plain frieze, inflected
cornice and broken pediment framing lead cartouche; original blocked C16 service
door to left with 4-centred arch head and carved spandrels. To right and left,
3-light leaded mullion and transom windows; 3-light mullion windows to first
floor. Gabled ends break forward and have 2 12-pane sashes to ground floor with
moulded stone sills and plain surrounds with keyblocks, blocked to left end,
4-light mullion and transom windows with hood moulds to first floor, 3-light
mullion windows in gables; mullions arched to right wing. Moulded plinth, quoins
to angles. First floor string, fine lead rainwater heads and pipes flanking
central bay. 2 brick lateral stacks left of centre, and central timber cupola
with clock rebuilt 1981 to original early C18 design. 9-window south range to
garden has rendered brick, 4-storey, tower left of centre with 8-panel door,
approached by flight of 5 steps with shaped angles, with moulded stone surround,
console keyblock, and broken segmental pediment. To right a 5-light mullion
window. 3-light arch-mullion windows to first and second floors, all with hood
moulds and similar window to fourth floor. Tower has a round stair turret with
ogee lead roof and weather vane to rear left angle beside brick stack. Rest of
range of 2 storeys, ashlar faced, 3 bays to left of tower, 5 to right, with
24-pane sashes, surrounds as above. 2-light mullion windows to basement, moulded
plinth and storey band. Right gable end has 2-light mullion window with hood
mould to gable and evidence of blocked and dismantled first floor oriel; long
timber lintel with blocked opening below. Irregular 6-window brick north range
has 2 and 3 storeys and mezzanine. 2-storey canted bays either end with mullion
and transom windows except to upper window of left bay - mullioned only, tall
2-light mullion and transom windows to right of centre lighting kitchen, two
24-pane sashes to left with stone surrounds as above. 2-and 3 light mullion
windows to ground, mezzanine and third floors and 2-light arch-mullion recess to
left of right end bay, just above moulded plinth. Stepped string broken by
mezzanine window. Brick and stone ridge stacks. Left gable end has second floor
oriel, originally matching blocked oriel already mentioned, with mullion and
transom window, and 1-light side pieces, a 3-light mullion window below and to
ground floor (2 blocked first floor sash windows). East entrance front of 2
storeys is lower than the other ranges and has irregular fenestration. Chamfered
carriage arch to right of arch. Various wood mullion and mullion and transom
windows and a 2-storey double-hipped projection to left with small brick arched
basement doorway. No plinth to left of arch. Rubble masonry and irregular
fenestration to Pebble Court. 4-centred arched door to hall to right of centre
is approached by flight of 7 steps. Re-used medieval stonework to this side of
north range. Plain stone caped parapets except to east range. Interior:
spectacular Jacobean plasterwork and overmantel in Drawing Room, former 'Great
Chamber'. C16 painted decoration in studio and Spencer Room, early C18 Painted
Parlour. Evidence of open roof to hall in rooms to side of Brown Gallery and
possible Long Gallery in top storey of north range. Seat of the Drydens since
mid C16; given to National Trust in 1981;
(National Trust Guide: 1984; Buildings of England; Northants, p.134-6)

Listing NGR: SP5773150655

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.